Discuss Building inspector's height of sockets query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

lawrence0117

Good evening fella's,
Just about to quote for installing a new ring circuit along with other stuff for a customer as they are currently having a new extension built. Ive not really have much experience with building inspectors during the course of a build as I've always just worked on my own, existing additions/alterations bla bla bla the usual.
My question is about the height of sockets, i know for new builds/installations it has to be between 450mm-1200mm, now the customer doesnt want them that high. The building inspector hasnt turned up yet, but the builder is on my case saying "gotta do it mate, its the law etc bla bla". If the customer is paying, i can advise them thats where they should go but ultimatley do they have to have them between 450mm-1200mm or can i make a note on the EIC of a deviation from BS7671?
thoughts or experiences appreciated.
Thanks,
Lawrence

install at the height the customer wants them. the 450mm rule is a building reg. applicable to new build only . nothing in bs7671 against this.

New build only, on previous buildings I believe it is a case of not making them worse by going lower than existing.

can i make a note on the EIC of a deviation from BS7671?

I will wait with bated breath for the reg number of that one
icon7.png

Agree with the general..but, is it a grant job? Just be a bit careful if it is local authority controlled. Have their own rules.
Maybe that's why the builder is a bit agitated, might have done a few before.

Must keep the building inspector happy
icon14.png

Explain to the builder and customer what can and cannot be done and let them square up to each other :6:

Let them tackle the building inspector and you do as your told young man
icon14.png
icon6.png

Whilst I agree that sockets should be no worst than previous -- unless new build where building regs apply in full -- be careful that planning permission for the 'new' extension hasnt put a restriction on socket heights to conform to latest regs! If it has the inspector may well not sign off the extension then the customer will be unhappy .......

The last time I came across this, building control said that if the extension had a new entrance then the extension had to comply with new build regulations.

Might be worth giving BC a ring, that way you have everything covered.

Agree with the general..but, is it a grant job? Just be a bit careful if it is local authority controlled. Have their own rules.
Maybe that's why the builder is a bit agitated, might have done a few before.

YES! I ran into this one and it was my own house !!

It only ended - in my favour - when I wandered into my MIL's council house house that had just been rewired by the council's own sparks and measured and photographed the heights of their sockets, put a little portfolio together and dumped it on the council's chief leccy bloke's desk ....

... council house house that had just been rewired by the council's own sparks and measured and photographed the heights of their sockets ....

Are you suggesting theres one set of rules for us and another set for the officials that uphold them ..... everyone is equal but some are more equal than others!!

You only have to tell me something four times then Im onto it in a flash .......

Good lad! :)

You'll find this "One rule for them and another for us" everywhere these days. It's not "right" and it's not "proper" but it's the way it is.

And don't forget .. "Life is a sh!t sandwich .. the more bread you have the less sh!t you have to eat!"

Thanks everyone for your replies, sorry it took so long to reply. I'm still just a tad confused. I read Part M and it states the 450-1200 rule to apply with part M. From what I read Part M does apply to domestic dwelling extensions as well. I know it's not in BS7671, so who do we comply with? Building regs are statutory, BS7671 isn't!! It's not a council job, and my bad, the deviation from 7671 bit, blonde moment, just thought I would cover myself somehow :teeth_smile:. I think I'll give BC a call, like you said, if I install them at customer height and BC won't sign off, methinks they won't be happy!

Under Part M Section 0.2 and 0.3 a material alteration or extension DOESN'T have to comply with Part M providing the works do not make the whole property less compliant than before.

Re electrical, putting sockets / switches at the same height deosn't make it less compliant, so it is acceptable to put them at the height to match the original.

If a wheelchair accessable toilet was moved from downstairs to upstairs then that would be less compliant unless a stairlift was fitted.

However if your working for the builder and he wants them at 450mm put them there, he's your customer, he's got to justify it to his customer.

If your working for the property owner directly then it's for you to either convince them 450mm is the better option or get B.C to agree before hand that they will sign off at original height.

Reply to Building inspector's height of sockets query in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net