Discuss Building inspectors in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the correct section.

We are looking to start a 2 storey side extension on our home. We are a little confused with building control.

The builder has advised that you can either go private or use the council.

Iv heard good and bad for both.

Do any of you have experience with either? Could you share some advice?

I have had no experience of private building control, but I know that our building control officers are mint if the job is mint.
As long as you go by the book they should be fine.

Ours was done privately, he asked if we had any lectical work done as he's dodging the first fix cables hanging from the ceiling.

I jokingly said 'no', he said 'OK then'...

Only used Local Authority who will be fine so long as you have good architect, and structural engineer etc. Even better if they and builder know the quirks of the local authority. Then I suspect cost would be a contributory factor in your decision? :)

'Good' builders don't seem to have any issues with building control surveyors local authority or private, but have come across some builders that haven't given me a great deal of confidence and wouldn't want them working on my house!

'Good' builders don't seem to have any issues with building control surveyors local authority or private, but have come across some builders that haven't given me a great deal of confidence and wouldn't want them working on my house!

Builders are another thing altogether. We have been looking for over a year now. Had well over 20 builders visit the property. Only 3 quotes. Other than the latest, the other quotes were way over the top.

Its not even a bad job, I will be dealing with electrical, plumbing, carpentry and plastering. We only wanted a sealed shell.

I have always used a local architect.
1. He knows the local BC guys and what they will/won't allow.
2. He gets the quotes from builders he trusts and has worked with before.
3. He acts as go-between with the BC department and the builder.
4. He arbitrates when stage payments are requested, checking that a payment stage has been reached.
5. He does all the paperwork!
6. He does the "snagging" before final payment, and can agree a retention if needed.
7. He has other contacts such as Structural Engineers, to calculate RSJ loadings etc.
8. He can tell the builders, on your behalf, that the client is an absolute pernickety bas**rd who will pick up on anything he doesn't like... but I usually tell the contractors myself.

I'll just clarify that there are female architects too!

Project Managing is an artificial term conjured up by The Apprentice...clueless idiots who think they can make money by telling other people how to do their jobs...but yes, an architect worth his/her title will manage your project, armed with enough knowledge to get people to carry out set processes appropriately, not just strut about shouting into a mobile phone and looking cool (in their eyes)...you don't need a PM if you have a decent architect...
however, if you have multiple architects and other professionals on a big project, then a PM is there to make sure they all work together...god forbid

Builders are another thing altogether. We have been looking for over a year now. Had well over 20 builders visit the property. Only 3 quotes. Other than the latest, the other quotes were way over the top.

Its not even a bad job, I will be dealing with electrical, plumbing, carpentry and plastering. We only wanted a sealed shell.

Thats your problem then. Builders like to make a nice little mark up on all the other trades. As your not letting them do that, they are either not interested, or they'll just load their quotes to make a bit more to make up for it.

Being fair to decent builders, they like to use trades they know & trust; they don't want their local reputation ruined by a trader who they have no control over.

I think its only worthwhile going private with BC, if its a large project.

an architect worth his/her title will manage your project, armed with enough knowledge to get people to carry out set processes appropriately, not just strut about shouting into a mobile phone and looking cool (in their eyes)...you don't need a PM if you have a decent architect...
Dont know many (any) architects that do all that for free! If its not 'Project Management' what is it because its not usually in an architects remit.

Maybe I was just lucky with the architect I chose. I have used him for several jobs and he always took everything on board.
A very minor job he looked after was forming a door from a bedroom into a newly formed en-suite which was previously a washroom entered from the hall. It needed a lintel, and a building warrant, and when the girl from BC came to inspect it she a) looked at the wrong doorway and b) complimented me on my decorating skills...

Dont know many (any) architects that do all that for free! If its not 'Project Management' what is it because its not usually in an architects remit.
It was always called attendance and was reflected in the architects overall fee which was a percentage of the final contract value can't remember the exact percentages but a basic fee of 8% springs to mind

Reply to Building inspectors in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net