Discuss Building Reg M - Socket n switch height?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
In the building regs (onsite) it says that the sockets and switches must be inbetween 450mm off the floor and 1200mm off the floor area. is this correct? it also says the guidance given in App doc M applies to all new dwellings, note if this is a rewire there is no requirement for the new measurements.

Is this old Reg Information? has it changed, or is it still the same. Because I'm sure i've read that if its a rewire and you've changed the socket in the same location, height is not an issue, but if there is a new socket outlet in a new location then the measurements need to be taken into consideration?

hope that makes sense, cheers

Hi Luke, this is still correct. All sockets must be 450mm to the bottom of socket and max 1200mm to top of switch. This applies to new build only. Re-wires do not fall into this bracket and if for instance your client wants socket at top of skirting board then you can do this.

Luke

just backing up Cirrus' comments which are absolutely correct, with one little add on, with rewires you can put them where the customer wants AS LONG AS THEY ARE NO LESS ACCESSIBLE THAN THEY WERE PREVIOUSLY

Essentially, if you were to RAISE the height of existing switches or LOWER the height of existing sockets then a building inspector could claim your an in contravention of Part M.

Additionally 'new builds' means COMPLETE new builds for compliance with Part M. It is quite acceptable to wire an extention to a property 'inkeeping with the existing dwelling'

Unless anyone out there knows differently??

regards

Tony

I have just come across this thread now, and was wondering does this reg apply to conversions (of same use)

The reason I ask is I have just started doing one now and the builder is adimate that they do - he is also adimate that they are set heights as well and no at a range - clearly wrong there.

Part M1 is not applicable to material changes of use but you cannot make things worse in terms of compliance, however you can leave them as they were.

I have just come across this thread now, and was wondering does this reg apply to conversions (of same use)

The reason I ask is I have just started doing one now and the builder is adimate that they do - he is also adimate that they are set heights as well and no at a range - clearly wrong there.

if it's an extension to an existing building, then the height recommendations do not apply. they are only for new build. your builder is talking through his arse ( nothing new there, then)

if it's

To be honest, it's all down to how the LABC interpret the Regs.
These heights were brought in to provide a standard for new builds, where the end user was unknown.
For re-wires, extensions and new builds where the end user is known, the customer/end user's preferences should take precedence.

I was told if its a new room then the heights apply. However if its a rewire or there is exisitng sockets or switches then you can make them match.

I would like to know the correct answer too!

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

Reply to Building Reg M - Socket n switch height?? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock