Discuss Building regs for consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Olijay2017

We are buying a newbuild property and due to the regulations, we are told the consumer unit needs to go in the dining room (as boxes are on the external wall in that location).

As the room will be painted dark grey we want to hide the box inside a cabinet by removing the back from the cabinet and pushing it against the wall. The door of the cabinet will then give access to the consumer unit.

For this to work, we need the consumer unit to be 500mm from the floor in the dining room. We are being told that regs state the minimum is 1.4m.

Is this correct or are we being misled?

recommended height is indeed approx. 1400mm, however, if you are buying a new build house, get the builders to put it somewhere else, cost is minimal compared to the cost of the house.

recommended height is indeed approx. 1400mm, however, if you are buying a new build house, get the builders to put it somewhere else, cost is minimal compared to the cost of the house.
Thanks for the quick reply. We are being told that the external box MUST be in the specific place it is on the M&E plan and that the internal consumer unit needs to be very close to that. Am I right in thinking the meter box has to be placed in a specific location that is out of the builders hands?

meter box is generally sited according to your DNO's requirements as they are responsible for getting the supply to it. however, the Consumer Unit can be almost anywhere in the house though additional fused isolator may be required. ( downstairs toilet is a favorite location with many builders).

Thanks for the quick reply. We are being told that the external box MUST be in the specific place it is on the M&E plan and that the internal consumer unit needs to be very close to that. Am I right in thinking the meter box has to be placed in a specific location that is out of the builders hands?

Having a consumer unit (CU) located some distance from the external meter box, is not unachievable, just needs a few extra things to be installed. Its better to have a CU fitted where it can easily be accessed for maintenance and resetting 'fuses' etc, than where its more convenient for your builder.

meter box is generally sited according to your DNO's requirements as they are responsible for getting the supply to it. however, the Consumer Unit can be almost anywhere in the house though additional fused isolator may be required. ( downstairs toilet is a favorite location with many builders).
We are being told that according to new regs, a fused isolator cannot be used?

We are being told that according to new regs, a fused isolator cannot be used?

To locate a CU some distance from the meter box DNO's may require a switch fuse (i.e. most DNO's would require one over distances of 3 metres). The example I gave in #8, would conform to the 'new' regulation in amendment 3 BS7671 (reg 421.1.201, within domestic households, consumer units or similar switchgear). The DNO's may not like such a large device in 'their' meter box. However, there is some dispute that such devices installed in an external wall meter box, does actually require to be A3 compliant.

They said a fused isolator will not solve our problem as this will need to go in place of the consumer unit and will still be an ugly box on the wall and still needs to be set 1.4m high.

A switch fuse could be located in the meter box, with the DNO's permission/agreement.

A switch fuse could be located in the meter box, with the DNO's permission/agreement.
Oh really? I am starting to feel like the builder is just fobbing us off then. So we could potentially have a switched fuse in the meter box along with the meter that would allow us to take the consumer unit to anywhere in the house as long as it is downstairs? Thanks a lot for your advice on this one by the way.

Oh really? I am starting to feel like the builder is just fobbing us off then. So we could potentially have a switched fuse in the meter box along with the meter that would allow us to take the consumer unit to anywhere in the house as long as it is downstairs? Thanks a lot for your advice on this one by the way.

There is also the consideration of the cable supplying the CU from the switch fuse, essentially it would probably need to be SWA (steel wire armoured), but its no great shakes.

I wouldn't listen to your builder, get in an independent electrician in to advise. He/she will also be cheaper, 'cos your builder is always going to add a 'mark up' on what 'his' electrician is charging your builder, kinda you paying the privilege of your builder supply you with an electrician. ;)

Anyhows, I'm orrfff to cook the tea now (in house joke thing!)

I'm doing two new builds at the moment and the external recessed meter box is at the front of each property and the consumer unit has been located in the utility room the other side of the house. I've got the builder to install another recessed meter box next to the one for the meter to house the switch fuse for the distribution circuit that's feeding the consumer unit. Reason I went for a second recessed box was to stop any arguments from the meter operator when the time comes for the meter to be installed. Anything is possible really as long as it meets building/wiring regulations...your builder just seems reluctant to go the bit extra to give you what you want. If your buying off a national house builder you might find yourself against an up hill struggle to try and get them to do anything extra...If its just a builder/developer then he should just find a solution and get on with it. Its not going to be much extra if the building is still at 1st fix stage.

no regulation forbids you to have the CU upstairs if you want.the building regs recommended height is so that you don't need steps to reset a breaker/RCD, e.g. so that persons with limited reach can reach without posing as danger of falling etc.etc.

However, there is some dispute that such devices installed in an external wall meter box, does actually require to be A3 compliant.
To be pedantic there is no dispute that they must comply with Amendment 3 - the argument is simply that they do not constitute a similar switchgear assembly to a consumer unit for the purposes of one particular Regulation (421.1.201).

To be pedantic there is no dispute that they must comply with Amendment 3 - the argument is simply that they do not constitute a similar switchgear assembly to a consumer unit for the purposes of one particular Regulation (421.1.201).

I do not understand your point you are trying to make?

Reply to Building regs for consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net