Discuss Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

They are on for a 30%+ fall in profits,come January....maybe they started cutting costs way before....
Not much joy in saying that,going off pictures and experience,you will be stuck with the current arrangement,unless rectified at your own expense.
Bearing in mind that there is no lintel supporting the 2nd Box and DPC missing, is there any danger on leaving the things as it is? Ther is also no insulation at all that part of the wall and that wall is backing my downstairs toilet, is really freezing in there during winter time.

Bearing in mind that there is no lintel supporting the 2nd Box and DPC missing, is there any danger on leaving the things as it is? Ther is also no insulation at all that part of the wall and that wall is backing my downstairs toilet, is really freezing in there during winter time.
I’d suggest following my advice in #18, that’s what I would be doing if I discovered missing cavity wall insulation.

The other issues could be considered latent defects as well.
Consult a solicitor, you could start with your conveyancing solicitor.

I’d suggest following my advice in #18, that’s what I would be doing if I discovered missing cavity wall insulation.

The other issues could be considered latent defects as well.
Consult a solicitor, you could start with your conveyancing solicitor.
Thank you very much for the advice and your time, I will certainly try getting a legal advice here.

Thank you very much for the advice and your time, I will certainly try getting a legal advice here.
Good luck, let us know how you get on. FYI as far as I’m aware in my new build, the meter boxes do not have a lintel above, nor a cavity tray. They have however been installed properly.

Hi
I will never know why the 2 nd Box was installed, this is the way we got the House from new.
I can answer that one. Due to the size of the new smart meters DNO’s are insisting that a fused double pole isolator is not in the same box as the main cut out as it won’t fit.
Personally I think this is nonsense as I’ve seem large metal fused clad double pole isolators and cut out and meter fit no problem. This gave me a major headache on a job I did this year.
But if the DNO insist on this then i and the builders in your case have to comply.

As for the photos I don’t see anything that breaches BS7671.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the photos I don’t see anything that breaches BS7671.

Don‘t think BS7671 applies here (more of DNO guidance), perhaps the top one. But I do think all the unnecessary holes should of been sealed up, or not made in the first place. Guess it’s their cock up for putting the supply cable in the wrong place. Possibly the first plot of that style built

Don‘t think BS7671 applies here (more of DNO guidance), perhaps the top one. But I do think all the unnecessary holes should of been sealed up, or not made in the first place. Guess it’s their cock up for putting the supply cable in the wrong place. Possibly the first plot of that style built
That was actually the last plot built, and was rushed a lot, and completed just days before Christmas

Can't believe they haven't put cavity insulation in!! Have you checked the other walls for the same thing?
yes, all walls were checked and yes, lots of uninsulated voids. Luckily this was reported to Builder within the first 2 years, so they can not go away with this.

yes, all walls were checked and yes, lots of uninsulated voids. Luckily this was reported to Builder within the first 2 years, so they can not go away with this.

Really shocking that they would do this - it's not exactly hard to put cavity insulation in while the build is in progress.

Out of interest could you post a photo of your consumer unit.

Really shocking that they would do this - it's not exactly hard to put cavity insulation in while the build is in progress.

Out of interest could you post a photo of your consumer unit.
yes, sure, please, see it attached, the last drawing shows the location of the consumer Unit

Attachments

• Building Regulations breached? IMG_0383 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0383.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Building Regulations breached? IMG_0384 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Building Regulations breached? Screenshot 2019-11-04 at 16.18.29 - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot 2019-11-04 at 16.18.29.png
    761.1 KB · Views: 62
Thanks. Was expecting worse.
Just noticed the coat hooks underneath - are there no cables coming down the wall from the consumer unit?

It would depend on when it was designed, if this was prior to the metal consumer unit requirements then it could in theory still be installed today.

This, as already stated, needs to be raised with NHBC.

Take legal advice here.
Rush job before Christmas.
Missing insulation and possibly fire-checks.
Sadly, all too common in new-builds.
Sadly, NHBC are too busy with really bad stuff, whereas this is relatively minor, and they don't have the staff or the stomach or the guts to sort these things.
I saw one case almost exactly like this a few years ago...missing insulation was pumped in, and it filled the meter box too...
If the missing insulation was notified within the first 2 years then the builder should be made to rectify this, but you will probably find that subcontractors are blamed and the dispute will go on for a long time.
Sadly, there just isn't enough money to pay local authority BC departments to get the staff to check ongoing building works.
If I were in your situation, I would ask LA for a grant for the insulation, and have the meter boxes protected while the insulation is inserted.

as above, start with your conveyancing solicitor.
they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Reply to Building Regulations breached? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock