Discuss Building Site etiquette or top tips? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

tanzoid

I am leaving the Navy after 15 years as a Electronic Engineer and I have just retrained as an electrician (2391, 2382, Level 2 EAL cert for Domestic Elect Installers and ECS card application in the post).
A local Company has kindly offered me a work trial on a building site.
As I have never worked on a building site are there any tips anyone can give me on how to act on site and what to expect?

Swear lots. Accept the new guy ---- taking. Make the wets for work mates.
DO NOT stand on that course of block work the bricky only just laid.

Don't bite when the lads there make some smart-arsed comment - they'll only do it more (well, I do anyway!)

Try not to laugh too much when the plumbers have hot and cold flushing toilets. Nah, scrap that, laugh yer bits off!

bite your lip..... After the forces a site will have you going nuts. Do not drop to their standards or levels .

Luke ex RAFR

And if you dont want to stand out DONT talk Navy speak like calling things "A Bit of Kit" because you will get sussed right away

The swearing and ---- taking I am pretty familiar with, navy has its fair share.

If I have to think about not using Navy speak, I will probably develop a stammer in the process.

The tips we got on electricians course for working on a site was that if you leave a hole in a joist for too long, a plumber will fill in with a pipe and to find the socket box after the plasterer has been, spray the wall with water.

Dont leave your tools lying open at tea time......go into the canteen and sit in with everyone else, if the refugees come in selling DVD's have a rummage through them with everyone else and there may be some joking about the ****o ones.....dont have shiny boots, as they will take the p!ss, I know in the Navy everything has to be shiny or you get a smack but its the other way round outside that gate, I learnt that the hard way LOL.......dont call money dibs, just say cash, Notes or Sheets....
Buy a really cheap crappy Radio as that breaks the silence that there is sometimes when you are new, just leave it on when youre on a break as then if somebody goes to pinch it the other trades will say Oi !!!!! put the Radio back (ON) and if somebody does pilfer it, just get another crappy 5 pound one in town, dont make a big deal out of it....
Take all your tools off site and into the car/van at night incase the place gets looted by crooks, standard kit is a box of tools and a Drill with its carry case and spare batteries in it, close it up and take it away every night....
And you are going to have to bite the bullet and eat food from some really shady places that would make a green lid puke, you cant go "uck is that roll cooked right" just have to gulp it down and wash it away as fast as possible with a can of fizzy juice, or if really bad just say "thats shy te "and throw it aside, theres a peculiar thing about being seen to eat the same as everybody else, I dont understand it but its there...

wear a Blue Boiler suit if you are going to wear them, DONT wear a Red one as thats Plumber/Pipe fitter colours and you will get a hard time, Hard hats- if you have to buy your own due to a shortage, sneak it in so nobody knows you bought it yourself, and never a white one as thats site manager colours....

One thing you should definitely do is get the plumbers tool box, a drill, some screws and plugs, and screw it down to the floor exactly where he left it.

For maximum effect, sheer the heads off the screws afterwards.

Nothing wrong with a white hard hat, and I've always been expected to provide my own.
Wear a yellow hi-viz though, not 'management orange'.
No drinking during the working day or smoking on site - other guys might get away with it but if you're the new guy you probably won't.

justy turn up and crack on, but dont rush about all the time, or youll be told that your licking arse. Look at how the other fellas are doing things and work out for yourself if your gona emulate them or do it your way. Dont be afraid to ask questions, as nobody knows everything.
Finally be honest and dont tell peiople youve been doing itfor years ect as that will breed contempt

justy turn up and crack on, but dont rush about all the time, or youll be told that your licking arse. Look at how the other fellas are doing things and work out for yourself if your gona emulate them or do it your way. Dont be afraid to ask questions, as nobody knows everything.
Finally be honest and dont tell peiople youve been doing itfor years ect as that will breed contempt

Sage advice.

Just be yourself - one thing though - just agree with the scaffolders whatever crap they come out with, they're all insane. People who are crazy enough to wear shorts in the middle of winter half way up a semi completed scaffold are to be avoided.

Sage advice.

Just be yourself - one thing though - just agree with the scaffolders whatever crap they come out with, they're all insane. People who are crazy enough to wear shorts in the middle of winter half way up a semi completed scaffold are to be avoided.

Sage advice.

Scaffolders are lunatics on day release.

kinda depends on how big the site is really but the best way is honesty .as previous dont try to hard to impress the gaffa it will put the other lads back up ! have had two experiances with people who have tried it on in as much as a guy who worked for me installing pyro 1.5mm four cores on a thorn addressable in a hospital he was an excellent operative in every way really had best results as far as ends down out of nearly thirty sparks (agency rabble )sorry anyone out there who is in the agency thing (times have changed and any work at mo is better than no work)but seriously iknow some good sparks who work agency but two thirds of em....well never mind. it was only when the alarm jobs ran out and strangly he asked if he could do the wiring of the office /changing ect of the staff quarters in the officers mess that i found out .its funny how a two way shows things up lol .he was a joiner who had had his mate show him how to make a few ends off in his shed i had no choice but to let him go,thing is if i had known i could have and would have arranged things so he could stop on .youll be ok just be realistic and up front dont get through to much workunless its that type of site just test the water and find out how much is expected of you fron gaffers view and from lads view then gauge it from ther

Hard hats- if you have to buy your own due to a shortage, sneak it in so nobody knows you bought it yourself, and never a white one as thats site manager colours

some sites have specific hard hat colours ( White Managers green first aider Yellow everyother tom dick n harry)others its free for all some of the bigger sites have HiViz colours as well Orange being used a lot for Qualifications IPAF PASMA ect
As for TIPS remember your in Civy street dont go on about your navy days
do listen and observe other trades and guys
do expect micky taking about navy
as already said Dont polish your boots (if you get a new leather pair drag them behind the car for a couple of miles )or tools and Defo DONT Iron a crease on your overalls trousers ect
Have fun and above alll KEEP to the safety rules on site ( Some sites operate a Yellow/Red card) and others have HnS guys who prowel and pounce when least expected
also DONT adress the gavver as "SIR" everyones your M8 till they cheese you off then call them what you want

Reply to Building Site etiquette or top tips? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net