Discuss Building survey asks for an EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mamba

Over the last few weeks I have been getting requests from prospective buyers of properties whos building survey have advised an EICR to be undertaken. Good news for us testers as at last this request on an important survey/test is getting through. The issue I have got is as to what extent and the limiatations of the report are, as the client asking for the work has no idea what I am on about. This is were I am coming from: As the person asking for the work is only the prospective buyer and NOT the owner of the property therefore how can he advise or instruct me to undertake a full EICR on the installation? and start pulling the install apart. I believe the prospective buyer has ever right to have a EICR done prior to buying but this can only be done with the present owners full permission surely. As we know the nature of a EICR can be intrusive, and as even with the best care in the world damage always occurs to decor and electrical system itself. My take is that I advise my client the prospective buyer the facts full facts about an EICR and the possible damages extent and limatations and suggest the prospective buyer must get permission from seller first, as failing this the test is very limited in its scope and becomes more of a visual inspection rather than conditional report that will be of little value to the prospective buyer. :santa:

you can't do anything without the home owners permission so I can't see any other way but to agree the extent and limitations with both the owner and the person asking for the survey.

The ones I've done which were requested by the buyers, have all been negotiated through the sellers estate agents. As yet they have all been proper EICR's

If buyers want to sell they have to accept such reports will on occassions be requested and be done.

I think it would be a good thing if you were selling a house to have a satisfactory eicr to show the buyers but few people seem to do that, as for the buyers asking, it needs to be agreed with the current homeowner as they might not want to cough up for it to be done or they might agree just to get the sale unless it turns out it needs a shed load of remedial work doing

Reply to Building survey asks for an EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net