Discuss Building Transformer in explosion proof enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

WilliamAng

Hi,

i would like to place a 60kVA 3-Phase Dry Type isolation Transformer into a explosion proof enclosure.

but i'm worry about the ventilation inside the explosion proof enclosure for the transformer.

Please help.

William

The fibreglass ones have a blast roof built into them which lifts off in the event of an explosion, and they have vents built into the sides.

The fibreglass ones have a blast roof built into them which lifts off in the event of an explosion, and they have vents built into the sides.

thanks for your reply.
other then fiberglass?
because the project required the explosion proof enclosure to be in Steel or Metal material instead of fiberglass.

kindly advise.

Thanks for your reply bro.
nope. they just wanted the transformer to be alone in the Explosion proof enclosure.

Tricky one as the tranny will be air cooled and at the same time you cannot use normal ventilation as it is bomb (nuclear?) proof?
Let me know what you decide on, very interesting project. Lucky you :)

Can't see how you can use an ''explosion-proof'' enclosure for a transformer that needs a flow of air across them to keep them within their temperature limits. Mind it is a very tiny unit your talking about!! lol!! I suppose it will depend, if it will be supplying a load at or near it's rating value...

If you read E&T we’re short of engineers to work on any new nuclear power plants. They’ll be having to use this site.

"URGENT!!!!: do the control rods go in or out to slow the reaction? I can never remember, LOL! Plz answer quickly, its getting quite warm in here!!1!"

Just as a matter of interest are you protecting the transformer from the environment or the environment from the transformer if that makes sense.... basically are you wanting the transformer to withstand an explosion and carry on running or is it a potentially explosive environment.... or you just stopping potential injury if the transformer internally breaks down?

Was thinking that myself...............are you talking about Zone 1 or 2 hazardous area here and wanting a 60Kva tranny inside an Exd enclosure?

Easier to put it in the MCC or safe area surely?

Hi All,

the transformer will be place in Zone 1 (in a chemical room)

I was just told to design a Dry type isolation transformer With explosion proof enclosure (Steel material).

i had up-size the transformer to 80kVA which is around 30% additional.
but the rating i'm stated on the transformer is 60kVA.

I also getting a bigger enclosure to have more space for ventilation.

but i still have worry's, because the enclosure is totally seal up inside.

Im kind of in the thinking that you should be expressing the original poor design nature of doing such a thing, I would like to hear their justification for needing such a set up as oppose to having the transformer external in a safe area and any lighting, ventilation etc can easily be supplied using fixtures, fittings and installation practices that meet zone 1 requirements. I assume this is in Singapore as I doubt you could get away with such an install over here without special approval and a full fail safe system in place for cooling the transformer whether it be air or liquid cooling. That aside you may be looking into Aviation industry that use bomb resistant enclosures in cargo holds in some cases and this would be my first port of call.......... but personally I wouldn't even bother trying to undertake such a task as your only making a rod for your own back here.

William,

Forgive me for asking but are you wanting this enclosure to contain an internal explosion or to be able to protect the transformer from an external explosion ?
EExd enclosures are designed to contain an internal explosion without 'migrating' to the external atmosphere ( basic speak).
You can also buy Zone 1 transformers but as has already been said.............why they would want to put one in a chemical room is beyond me !
Wouldn't fancy working in there even though it will be nice and warm during the winter lol

William,

Forgive me for asking but are you wanting this enclosure to contain an internal explosion or to be able to protect the transformer from an external explosion ?
EExd enclosures are designed to contain an internal explosion without 'migrating' to the external atmosphere ( basic speak).
You can also buy Zone 1 transformers but as has already been said.............why they would want to put one in a chemical room is beyond me !
Wouldn't fancy working in there even though it will be nice and warm during the winter lol

I think what the enclosure is for, rather than keeping an explosion inside is to keep power running in the case it is bombed.

I think what the enclosure is for, rather than keeping an explosion inside is to keep power running in the case it is bombed.

Aye that's why I was asking...........thought it strange!
Glad that's not part of my remit......................sandwich van being late is normally my main worry:bomb:

Reply to Building Transformer in explosion proof enclosure in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net