Discuss building warrant or not guys n gals? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kilty55

hi there,im looking for your advice on whether or not i need to apply for a building warrant for a job we are about to start

bathroom refit in an exisiting tenemant flat

ceiling is false and already dropped but we are changing the light to 4 bathroom rated spotlights and also adding underfloor heating which the electrician will put onto an rcd or an rcdo he said....

the customer has questioned if we should need a warrant i asked the electrician who said as long as his lights dont peirce the original ceiling then we dont need to apply for one?

called building standards locally who were not much use they would not say yes or no they asked for detailed drawings etc to be submitted which seems a bit ott imo for re doing a bathroom

any advice peeps cheers

Sounds to me that your electrician is not Part P registered and is encouraging you to ignore the planning rules.

Yes you need LABC involved or get a Part P sparky to DO the work, don't use a non Part P sparky in England or Wales.

Do not take this as gospel since I am in England but I thought that all electrical work on houses in Scotland did not require a warrant, but not sure about flats.

The below is from the Building Regulations (Scotland) if it helps.

DESCRIPTIONS OF BUILDING AND WORK, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF SERVICES, FITTINGS AND EQUIPMENT, NOT REQUIRING A WARRANT
A. On condition that types 1-23 in all respects and/or in the manner of their fitting meet any relevant requirement of the regulations.
1. Any work to or in a house. Except-Any work which increases the floor area of the house. Any demolition or alteration of the roof, external walls or elements of structure. Any work adversely affecting a separating wall. Any change in the wastewater disposal system. Work, not being work of types 3 to 26 below, to a house having a storey, or creating a storey, at a height of more than 4.5 metres.

B. On condition that this work, service, fitting or equipment is to a standard no worse than at present.
24. Any work associated with the replacement of a fitting or equipment, in whole or in part, by another of the same general type, including a sanitary facility (together with any relevant branch soil or waste pipe), rainwater gutter or downpipe, solid fuel combustion appliance, electrical fixture, ventilation fan, chimney or flue outlet fitting or terminal, fire hydrant or main, lift or escalator, solid waste chute or container, kitchen fitments or other fitted furniture and ironmongery. Except-Any door, window or rooflight. Any oil firing or gas fired boiler.

thanks for the opinions guys,i dont think part p is applied up here i think it comes under building regs slightly different or so i beleive??

my spark is an approved electrician,just found the conflicting advice on the building warrant confusing,its the customers responsibility to get the warrant also i beleive as its his property so will let him deal with it

thought with the lights being exisiting wiring and the ufh covered by an rcd that the spark could just sign of his own work

Part p does not apply in Scotland...end of! With this said this is still notifiable work as you are adding a circuit in a special location so still needs to be signed off by your spark. If he is not a schemie member then Labc it is.

no probs murdoch valid point i didnt think of that,cogsie i know hes an approved electrician and signs of his work on jobs but ill have to ask what scheme hes under as well i assume mate?

no probs murdoch valid point i didnt think of that,cogsie i know hes an approved electrician and signs of his work on jobs but ill have to ask what scheme hes under as well i assume mate?

You don't have to be a scheme member to sign off work!!!!!!!!!!! Granted it is easier and can be less painful but you can sign off work without being a member of a scheme so long as you can satisfy the labc you are competent to do said work. In fact NICEIC sell certificates for non members to use!

thing is cogsey is that its a tenemant 2 storeys would that come under the same heading as 2 storey house on that as it seems to say 2 story house no warrant needed

thing is cogsey is that its a tenemant 2 storeys would that come under the same heading as 2 storey house on that as it seems to say 2 story house no warrant needed

The point i am trying to make is that there is actually very little electrical work that requires a warrant and so long as your spark meets the criteria required by your local building control then he can issue a certificate for the work he is carrying out.....simples!

Google this and a very good reference guide comes up

Building (Scotland) Regulations 2004
Regulation 5, Schedule 3 annex 1

I stand corrected by sparkystu and i misread the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to building warrant or not guys n gals? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net