Discuss Built-In oven help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kas

Hi,
I am looking to replace a single built-in electric oven. The current oven (power 2145w - 2335w) is playing up.
This oven is hard 'wired-in' direct to a flat socket mounted on the wall behind the oven, with heat resistant 3 core flex. Most of the new ovens I have looked at come with standard 3 pin plugs attached.
My question is how do I go about changing the standard plug so it can be hard-wired into the existing wall socket? Can the plug be cut off and stripped back and hard wired in?
Thanks
kas

beat me to it ezzy. but wouldn't it be notifiable as is in a kitchen? bloody joke if so.

Last edited:
Was hoping to do this myself swapping one oven for another using existing wiring. Putting in a new 'socket' will probably count me out and require getting someone in.
The other option of course is to source an oven that requires 'hard wiring' in which case I can just swap over. Problem is not many retailers supply this information!

The problem is that any oven requiring wiring in may well require its own circuit ,i dont know how yours is wired is it part of the cooker circuit or do you have a gas hob / electric oven arragement ,any circuit over 3 kw requires its own circuit so it may be adviseable to get a proffessional regestered spark in to give you advise

We had an electrician in when the kitchen was fitted about 5 years ago.
There is a seperate cooker isolation switch above the worktop to the left of the oven and a fuse on the main electric board marked 'cooker', so I presume that it has it's own circuit. When we did the kitchen we got the electrician in as the cooker was moved from one side of the room to the other. Does this help?

Reply to Built-In oven help in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net