Discuss Bungalow rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

walec

Hello All,

Got a 1920 Bungalow to rewire, approx 157 square metres, can`t decide on how to run the cables in the loft, its going to be a pain if I clip direct as the beams run in all direction due to a number of extensions, i have seen some mention of trunking before, any suggestions welcome. It is also a cavity wall but if my memory serves me correctly I can not run the cables through the cavity due to insulation detoration on the cable, which is a real shame because it would make the job a lot easier, am I correct?:)

May be some plastic mini trunking for the main runs then clip it for the rest?
And your right you shouldn't run any cables in the cavity!!

AJ

Thanks guys I like both ideas, I will give it some thought, my problem may be supporting the conduit.
What about if the cavity walls are inside th house? there is no insulation.

Cavities are a big no-no - not just for insulation (altho thats the obvious one)

Also, fauna, floura, & fiona (oh no, got confused there :eek:)

I meant damp & thermal bridging... (not sure why i thought of fiona at that point)

As for the wiring supports - i`m with the runner-boards brigade. Certainly a damn site quicker...

Thanks guys I like both ideas, I will give it some thought, my problem may be supporting the conduit.
What about if the cavity walls are inside th house? there is no insulation.

Not running within cavities isn't about insulation problems, lets face it there are regs & correction factors covering this issue, it's about lack of visibility on cable runs for future services along with possible penetration through the walls & building movement.

I think I will go with the plank idea, it seems the easiest solution, looks like I have a lot of chasing to do as all cables are currently run in cavities or under suspended floors, there are also two layers of installtion to be removed (well one layer at least so I can at least see where I am walking). its a big job in small time frame.

Brings it back when i around 17 i worked with a sparks he had me in a loft with a ball of string and bit of chain dropping it down the cavity on a bungalow lol

As well as if your unlucky enough to get rodents running up and down the cavities can be a right pain not just for them !

Why not through a Cavity!!!! So long as you derate your cable, shorten your cable runs to minimise the effects of thermal insulation and temp varience. Or otherwise choose a larger cross sectional area / cable size. Where mechanical protection is a concern consider using plastic conduit inside cavity?

:cool:

Why not through a Cavity!!!! So long as you derate your cable, shorten your cable runs to minimise the effects of thermal insulation and temp varience. Or otherwise choose a larger cross sectional area / cable size. Where mechanical protection is a concern consider using plastic conduit inside cavity?

:cool:

Hi Luigi

I worked in OZ for a sort while and well everything went down the cavity. We are paranoid about electrics in the UK so we have a reg to stop you doing most things. Talk to a UK sparks about bathroom sockets!!!

Reply to Bungalow rewire in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net