Discuss burglar alarm advice.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
im asking to do some work on the orthopedic clinic but im not so familiar with burglary alarm..burglary alarm its ready in use and client asking to have another extra sensor to cover some place..to run the cable from the place where hi like that sensor to burglary alarm panel its quit difficult but not impossible..i dont know if i can fix them in series from the nearest sensor or definitely i have to go to the alarm panel..any idea for that..

To be honest I think it would be unfair to take the job on if you don't know how to do it. The customer is going to be paying you money assuming that they are getting someone who is capable of doing at least basic alarm work. Daz

Some systems will lock out if you remove covers,if it's in a clinic it will probably be under a contract and will almost certainly require their engineer to visit to unlock,as Hawk said leave well alone.

as phil said, might have engineer reset following you opening it. that could cost you £200 ( knowing ADT and such national companies). best to find out who installed and maintains it, then customer can contact them. if, however, it's just a basic audible sysyem, find a local alarm engineer and sub it out to them.

Best left alone as you probably don't have the appropriate insurances if it all goes wrong and from your post you don't have the experience and understanding of alarm systems to install the detector and program the alarm panel

thanks to all of you..i say to client the best way its to call the person who fix or care for them and he agree that..he asking me if i can do first fix first and i thought if its possible to fix sensor on the series its not problem to fix..definitely im not touching alarm panel at all..just what im doing its to run the cable because im still do some other electrical work and client wants to finish as quick as possible..
my question its simple and consist in that if its possible to extend another sensor in the series installation or definitely have to installed on the alarm panel..

OK. then forget other sensors. you can't just loop in. you need to run a 6 core or 8 core from the PIR position back to the panel. leave a few feet spare at the panel end. then they have the cable ready to use. the only problem i can see is if the system is wired with REMs, which act like a sub to the panel. if all the existing PIRs are wired direct to the panel, then do as the first part of this post.

thanks to all of you..i say to client the best way its to call the person who fix or care for them and he agree that..he asking me if i can do first fix first and i thought if its possible to fix sensor on the series its not problem to fix..definitely im not touching alarm panel at all..just what im doing its to run the cable because im still do some other electrical work and client wants to finish as quick as possible..
my question its simple and consist in that if its possible to extend another sensor in the series installation or definitely have to installed on the alarm panel..

It can depend on the type and size of system installed most commercial systems are installed as one device per circuit / zone and don't necessarily have to be wired to the panel as larger system use zone expansion units located throughout a building. As you unfamiliar with alarms seek advice from the alarm company

OK. then forget other sensors. you can't just loop in. you need to run a 6 core or 8 core from the PIR position back to the panel. leave a few feet spare at the panel end. then they have the cable ready to use. the only problem i can see is if the system is wired with REMs, which act like a sub to the panel. if all the existing PIRs are wired direct to the panel, then do as the first part of this post.

thanks tazz..yes all egzisting PIR its wired direct to the panel..i see i dont have any choice just to run the cable to the alarm panel and leave to others to do a second fix..

thanks..

that's about it. as long as there's a spare zone in the panel.

Reply to burglar alarm advice.. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net