Discuss Burglar alarms - what type and where to get them ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

Steve D

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the game. I've just passed my 2330 and 17th ed and part way through my 2391.

However, I'm just after a few tips regarding where's best to buy burglar alarms and what sort of alarms you guys recommend/usually fit.

Is wired or wireless the best way to go ?

I have a customer who ideally wants an autodial type. From your experience, is it best to get a system with an inbuilt autodialer or a separate autodialer connected up?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

If you are looking for a speech / text dialler the Texecom unit is the one I use, it is not cheap though. Their panels are good as well
I would use stand alone units as a lightining strike on a phone line can take the intruder alarm out on a combined unit and also needs alot more work to swap out if the dialler fails

With regard to buying equipment there are a few places on the web also Gardiner Security has branches around the country

Last edited:
I agree with regard to Texecom, good quality kit. I get min e from Alert Electrical on the web.

Mark

Risco's gardtec range is the best you'll find available I think. They sell a few types of wired and hybrid wireless systems. Need an account though but not too difficult to set one up. I'd go for one with a built in auto dialler although they do sell them seperately. Less work as you just connect The phone line to pcb and programme no's at rkp. Don't forget your adsl filter!!!

Don't fall in to the trap of putting any old crap in though you'll come unstuck with it going off. Then you've guessed it call backs!

Risco have a good technical help department which will be a god send if you've never programmer an alarm panel before!

Podge.

Risco have a good technical help department which will be a god send if you've never programmer an alarm panel before!
Podge.

Really!! They where useless the other week when I rang them:(. Texecom have a very good tech dept always have the answer for any problem I've had :)

Really!! They where useless the other week when I rang them:(. Texecom have a very good tech dept always have the answer for any problem I've had :)

I've never had a problem myself and I've been using they're gear for five years. They are the best I've used in my time and I've installed a few texecoms. Each to there own but I know for certain there equipment far better than anything out of the texecom range (in my opinion)!

I know for certain there equipment far better than anything out of the texecom range (in my opinion)!

I know it's your opinion but I can't agree with it. Having spent over 25 years designing, installing and repairing various sized installations (3 to several hundred circuits) with various manufacturers kit, I certainly won't rubbish the Gardtec kit but to say it far better than Texecom is one hell of a statement!, you don't say what Texecom kit you have installed to form your opinion but you have obviously had a bad experience with it to make your statement.

I only rubbished Risco's tech support from recent contact with them and their inability to resolve my problem

Reply to Burglar alarms - what type and where to get them ? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock