Discuss Burned out loft wiring and overload? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I could use some help and advice for this setup in a new house. No clue about electrics.. just want to identify if this is safe or a bodge job (I didn't do it).
The loft has been converted and has the wiring as follows...
It's at the end of wire, which I believe is called a 'spur'.

Wire up from house (black, red, earth) TO
13a 3 way terminal junction box TO
2 plug wall socket AND TO
Wire (black, red, earth) TO
13a 3 way terminal junction box TO
2 plug wall socket where it ends.

What loads can be drawn on this setup?
Does it depend on what it put on the first wall socket?
Does it sound like the correct setup?

There was an incident where the first terminal junction box wiring melted inside, I think due to bad wiring as it was long wiring, all stuffed inside and I think it arced but now I wonder if it also overloaded.
Can a spur only take a smaller load than a main ring circuit?

Thanks

A sput from a ring final circuit can supply 1 x 13A socket (or a double). To supply more than one socket would require the use of a 13A FCU (fused connection unit) to prevent overloading of the cable.

Is there any paperwork for the work?

A sput from a ring final circuit can supply 1 x 13A socket (or a double). To supply more than one socket would require the use of a 13A FCU (fused connection unit) to prevent overloading of the cable.

Is there any paperwork for the work?
Great, thanks.

No, no paperwork. It was here when we moved in.

Is this correct?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479

Great, thanks.

No, no paperwork. It was here when we moved in.

Is this correct?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-switched-fused-spur-flex-outlet-white/13479

Yes, but you need to get an electrician in it to check things out by the sounds of it. When did the melting incident occur, and who fixed it?

It happened the other day. It had an oil radiator in one of the double sockets and playstation and tv plugged into the other socket.

I replaced the two terminal junctions just to be sure and obviously cut, stripped and removed any damaged wiring and cut it to the correct lengths.

It happened the other day. It had an oil radiator in one of the double sockets and playstation and tv plugged into the other socket.

I replaced the two terminal junctions just to be sure and obviously cut, stripped and removed any damaged wiring and cut it to the correct lengths.

You need to get and electrician in to check things out.

Reply to Burned out loft wiring and overload? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net