Discuss Burnt/melted wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ac1801

DIY
Reaction score
Hey im looking for some advice. I have had my cooker 3 years and never had any problems. Over the last few days there has been an odd smell coming from my oven and today it just turned off and wouldn't come back on. I decided to turn it off at the mains and have a look and this is what i found ? not sure if this would be a cooker fault or a fault from the switch its attached to? And even if this is what would have stopped it working? It is a free standing cooker and the hob is working fine but the oven and grill aint! Thanks! IMG-20200623-WA0009.jpeg

That has been caused by a lose connection, the whole thing looks badly connected especially the earth which has a piece of cable sheath wrapped over it. That type of cable is not ideal as it is not flexible, that whole terminal block needs replacing.

The hob and oven/grill probably use separate terminals in that block that are connected together by the links. The burnout could have broken the neutral connection to the oven but left continuity to the hob.

As per Westward, burnout is due to bad workmanship, connection was not sound either because the screw was loose, the thread stripped or something not properly in position. The cable appears to be 2.5mm² which is probably undersized if this is a full size cooker, which would tend to get overheated anyway. I would get the installation of at least this circuit checked out by an electrician, in addition to the repair on the appliance itself, which hopefully should be straightforward.

Reply to Burnt/melted wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net