Discuss Burnt out ballast EICR Coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Icarus

-
Reaction score
Scenario: Visibly burnt out, entirely blackened, ballast in a fluorescent fitting. Would this be noteworthy during an EICR and if so, how would it be coded? My thinking is that its an obvious fire risk.

Still an apprentice with millions to learn, any input would be appreciated.

Does the fitting comply with
Section 421
621.2(ii)

The internal section of the fitting is not part of the fixed wiring so unless any of the above are not complied with then its no code from me.

the fitting itself is outside your remit of testing to BS7671. as pp says. disconnect and no code. just tell customer if he wants to see where he's going , to replace fitting.

Read the definition below it?? An electrical installation is an assembly of electrical equipment. The lights clearly form part of the installation.
And which Reg number backs up the code? The regs only apply to the final connections carried out on site, cable entry in to the enclosure and the suitability of the enclosure.

Regulation 642.2 (iii)
The inspection shall be made to verify that the installed Electrical equipment is:

Not visibly damaged or defective so as to impair safety.

This is from the 18th edition so naturally it’s predecessor may be different but I do not have the 17th available at the moment to compare.

Now admittedly this forms part of the initial verification process but I’d be prepared to use the same regulation method for periodic inspection

Also see 651.2 regarding periodic inspection and testing note (ii) in particular

Reply to Burnt out ballast EICR Coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net