Discuss Burnt out water heater switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all, just joined EF hoping to solve a problem. I live in a 3 year old flat in a block and my immersion heater stopped working. I have discovered the problem to be a burnt out switch (photo attached). As you can see it's pretty bad to the extent that the plastic has melted. My question is why should this happen, especially in a modern property? Cheers, Dave
Burnt out water heater switch IMG_20190304_181514 - EletriciansForums.net

Could be a number of things, poor connections, poor quality accessory who knows. Unfortunately modern day accessories are not the same quality of years past and a 13A fuse connection unit is not ideal for an immersion heater and you should replace it with a 20A double pole switch.

This really should never happen. Where did you get from, when and what's the make?
This is true but unfortunately modern day 13A fuse connection units whoever manufacturers then do not like being pushed to their limit. In the pic the fuse carrier part appears to have melted and this could purely down to a poor connection.

Thanks for the replies. I should say that I bought the property brand spanking new from one of the biggest developers in the country! So the switch is original! The wiring used in the photo is made up of strands.....is this ok or should it be a single core? Cheers, Dave

I assume they are the outgoing conductors so they should be okay but remove any damaged parts. Strip them back, fold over and ensure the terminal screw hits a good connection to them.

the outgoing cable will be stranded flex. looking at the offcuts in the pic. it's not been ferruled, which in itself is a recipe for burnt terminals. and as previous, a 20A D/P switch is preferable . overload protection should be 16A MCB in CU.

Hi all, just joined EF hoping to solve a problem. I live in a 3 year old flat in a block and my immersion heater stopped working. I have discovered the problem to be a burnt out switch (photo attached). As you can see it's pretty bad to the extent that the plastic has melted. My question is why should this happen, especially in a modern property? Cheers, Dave
View attachment 48159
Loose connection would be my diagnosis, Hercule is my middle name

Thanks for the replies. I should say that I bought the property brand spanking new from one of the biggest developers throw it up in a week as cheap as possible in the country! So the switch is original! The wiring used in the photo is made up of strands.....is this ok or should it be a single core? Cheers, Dave

corrected that for you.

Haha, get the point;) but nevertheless a 3 yr old property - this could have been a lot more serious than no hot water for a while! So basically can we say that stranded wire, folded over, (un-ferruled), tightened securely in a 13A D/P switch should be ok?

Hi DW and Welcome.
Unfortunately we do see these 13A fuse connection units that have been heat affected. Can you check if the circuit the FCU is on has a B16 rated mcb? I'm suspecting they've put yours off a 32A circuit and so felt they needed to fuse it down.

Haha, get the point;) but nevertheless a 3 yr old property - this could have been a lot more serious than no hot water for a while! So basically can we say that stranded wire, folded over, (un-ferruled), tightened securely in a 13A D/P switch should be ok?
yes. now the thread has been answered, here's a bit of culture:

You want to check a few of the other accessories for loose terminals and/or unearthed metal backboxes.

You wont get much comeback with the NHBC 10 year warranty, I'm afraid, but finding and rectifying any faults would make the property safer.

Average 3kW immersion/ 230v supply (nearer 240v in reality) gives you 12.5 to over 13Amps running current. The fuse was never going to last long.
Agree that it should have been a double pole switch without a fuse.

Does the Property have gas?

TI should say that I bought the property brand spanking new from one of the biggest developers in the country!
They tend to be the worst offenders for using cheap accessories, a few pence saved on a switch in your house turns into thousands saved on a large estate.

Also it is recommended that domestic properties get a periodic inspection every ten years to ensure the installation is still safe to use, not essential or the law but worthwhile.

Get on to the to the sellers to sort that out .
It could have been a lot more serious .
Do not fix it yourself or you may jeopardise any future claims.

Reply to Burnt out water heater switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock