Discuss Burnt sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

N2ETC

Hi, I have a socket that has been badly installed and has burnt the wires and the cover. I think the insulation has been screwed down onto the thread.

I have removed the socket, but need to get some new wire before I can do anything else. How do I make the wire safe so I can turn on the power to the other sockets while I go out and get some more wire to be able to re-wire the socket and make safe?:confused:

I can't new wire until tomorrow morning and the wire is so badly burnt that I can't even get a decent piece of wire to connect to another socket!

Also until I can really have a good look I'm not sure which socket it is spurred off from so I can't even disconnect it completely. If i then put the fuse back it will blow won't it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably ,but even if it doesnt blow it would be a hell of a risk to leave it live,until you know the extent of the damage.If you really cant leave the cct disconnected,explain to the customer that you will have to damage some decor.And go back along the cable as far as it is able to be made safe,maybe in a joint box.If its a ring and you have to split it over night remember to down grade the fuse or MCB to suit.hope this helps not easy to say without seeing the job with your own to eyes.

That's really helpful thank u. The circuit is on an old fuse board with a 30amp fuse which has already blown and now trying hard to find some replacement fuse wire!! I think this damaged socket has been spurred off the socket above the unit as it has 9 wires from it but after pulling and wiggling its hard to tell! I have discussed with the customer and they seem ok just a bit annoying that I can't leave them with their sockets on!

Can you not prove its a spur from the socket above,and then just disconnect it there to make it safe.At least they can have most of their power back on tonight.

what about testing it to see if it`s a spur then removing it from the circuit, turn the circuit back on until you can get back to rewire it.

I have bashed about now and managed to prove its connected to the above socket once I can get some fuse wire I should be able to get them powered up until I can re-wire the burnt socket. Thanks for all your help guys sometimes you just need to bash it out with others to see if there is simple solution.
Cheers all really appreciate your time.

Reply to Burnt sockets in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net