Discuss Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello

My dear old mother tried to clean the tiles in our utility room by using a damp rag and I think some water may have dripped into our plug socket which is connected to the washing machine. She removed the washing machine plug whilst she was cleaning the tiles and plugged it in afterwards. The machine powered on but was not in use at the time.

A bit later I came into the utility room and noticed the wall socket was charred black. I rushed over and pulled the plug out and saw that in addition to the wall socket, the washing machine plug itself (and its fuse) was also charred and completely black. We were very very lucky there wasn’t a fire.

Now the plug socket needs to replaced and the washing machine plug needs to replaced too. I am not sure if this is something I can do myself or if I need a qualified professional to do, especially given the reason for the damage?

I was thinking of just going down to screwfix and buying a wall plug socket and replacing the burnt one in the wall. My worry is if there is any damage to the wires behind it but I don’t know how to check this or if it would be obvious? I haven’t attempted to replace a wall socket before so I would largely rely on youtube videos to help me out.

For the washing machine I was also thinking of getting a plug, cutting the washing machine plug off, stripping the cable a bit and fixing a new plug? I have replaced a plug before for small household appliances but I don’t know if the washing machine plug needs a special type to handle the power. It was enclosed and looked a bit heavy duty but would a standard one like any kettle/microwave uses, be okay?

Calling in a professional would be expensive and it would be a shame if this was something I could do myself. I’d be very grateful for any advice. Ive included pictures and also before and after I cleaned up the scorch marks a bit on the wall socket.

Attachments

• Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket IMG_20221022_071137317 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20221022_071137317.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 43
  • Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket IMG_20221022_112012683 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20221022_112012683.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket IMG_20221022_112024043_HDR - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20221022_112024043_HDR.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 42
If you have some DIY skills then replacing a socket is manageable, but if you don't then getting a professional in is your best bet.

If you are doing anything then the first and most important thing is to make damn sure the power is off! Simplest option is to switch off the whole house, but even there you ought to check the socket is dead first.

One way to do that is to get a 13A socket tester, ideally one that provides a good indication of any earth faults such as this:
But any tester is better than none and read the instructions!

Test your tester first in a known good socket to see that it is working though.

Get a good brand of socket and a replacement plug, my usual choice is the MK Logic Plus range. When you unscrew the socket from the wall (after checking power is off) take a photo if in doubt. You need to make sure the wires go in to the right terminals and they might be in different places, so check cable colour and the label on the new socket (e.g. L = brown (red), N = blue (black), etc).

When replacing the socket take care that the cables don't get crushed by the socket against the back box, or are sitting where the fixing screws can trap them. Once replaced switch the power on and check with your socket tester again.

Replacing the plug is another thing that should be easy to do after checking some guidance notes or videos. Again, you need to check you get the cables in the correct terminals by the colour code, and that the main cable sheath is properly clamped. When stripping the cable take care not to cut the primary insulation (the coloured sheathes of each core) when removing the outer sheath.

Last edited:
Some guidance for a plug:
They use wire cutters for stripping, as many sparks do, but it takes a bit of experience to get that right so you remove the primary insulation without ripping out copper strands. You can also buy wire strippers to make it easier, or very careful use of a knife. Again, take care not to remove copper strands by cutting too deep.

If using a knife to cut the insulation my usual approach is to part-cut the plastic and then bend the cable - often it tears open neatly at the score and you get it off without cutting/nicking whatever is below (primary insulation or the copper strands.)

Thank you all for replying.

I went into screwfix and bought an MK Logic Plus 13A switched plug socket as well as that heavy duty plug mentioned above. I am going to try to fit the plug tomorrow and forgive the silly question, but considering my original burnt plug socket is unswitched, will the wires from the wall all still connect up into the same inserts on the plug? When i changed a plug there was always 3 wires: Neutral, live and earth so I would struggle if there was 5 wires from the wall, but 3 holes in the plug socket (or vice versa).

I was also wondering if I did manage to do it and everything went well. In the name of safety what do you think about buying an RCD adapter like this and plugging the washing machine into it then the RCD itself into the newly installed plug socket?
Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket 1666451256366 - EletriciansForums.net

I am going to try to fit the plug tomorrow and forgive the silly question, but considering my original burnt plug socket is unswitched, will the wires from the wall all still connect up into the same inserts on the plug? When i changed a plug there was always 3 wires: Neutral, live and earth so I would struggle if there was 5 wires from the wall, but 3 holes in the plug socket (or vice versa).
No, the wiring is the same whether the socket is switched or not.
You may find two of each colour wire if the socket is part of a ring, but when you remove the old one it should be quickly evident how to connect the new one.
Your new socket is very clearly marked L and N and the Earth symbol. Just match how the old one was wired up, going by labels, not position. i.e. find the L on the old one, and move them to L on the new one. etc.

The wiring in 13A plug will always tend to be roughly in the same place, whatever the make of the plug, but in a socket the connections will be wherever the manufacturer decides, although they will be clearly marked.
You will probably find that there are two terminals for the earth connection, often in different places. You only need to connect to one, and that can be either one. If the socket is fitted in a metal box, you might also find a length of earth wire between the earth connection on the socket and a terminal at the back of the metal box. This wire can be connected to either earth terminal on your new socket, either the same one as you connect the incoming cable, or to the 'spare' one.
As for your RCD adaptor, I would definitely NOT recommend it. The plug and socket on it are both likely to be of poor design, and are likely to lead to overheating and damage again.
Are you sure the sockets in your house aren't already RCD protected at the fusebox? I've not installed a socket circuit without RCD protection since the mid '80s, although they weren't compulsory then, as they are now.

although they weren't compulsory then, as they are now.

Just a wee clarification here.

As professional electricians, it would be compulsory for us to upgrade a circuit to have rcd protection if it required it, as we are working on that particular circuit.
As a homeowner, it is not compulsory that it must be fitted if no other work was being done, only a recommendation.

To the OP.
That is quite a black mark, I’m even surprised water from cleaning has managed to produce such damage.

I’m expecting the property to still be on rewirable fuses looking at that.

I know it can be quite expensive, but I would advise you have an electrician look at it. It might put your mind at rest knowing everything is as safe as it can be.

Anyone on the forum in the North West? Just slightly too far for me.

Just a wee clarification here.

As professional electricians, it would be compulsory for us to upgrade a circuit to have rcd protection if it required it, as we are working on that particular circuit.
As a homeowner, it is not compulsory that it must be fitted if no other work was being done, only a recommendation.

To the OP.
That is quite a black mark, I’m even surprised water from cleaning has managed to produce such damage.

I’m expecting the property to still be on rewirable fuses looking at that.

I know it can be quite expensive, but I would advise you have an electrician look at it. It might put your mind at rest knowing everything is as safe as it can be.

Anyone on the forum in the North West? Just slightly too far for me.
I had those tiles on the first house I bought in 1979, and the fuseboard had rewireable fuses 🙂

I had those tiles on the first house I bought in 1979, and the fuseboard had rewireable fuses 🙂

Whenever I see those tiles, takes me back to the family home of my childhood where they adorned the kitchen and bathroom. It also had (still does) a rewireable fusebox... maybe they were a package deal???

I have seen those tiles in hyundreds of homes. Generally referred to as "chicken tiles" because there is a sort of outline of a chicken on them. They came in several colours, I mean the tiles were basically a white background but the chickens came in black, blue, green, maroon and yellow.

Reply to Burnt Washing machine plug and wall socket in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock