• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Bus issues. Advice? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm presently in a rental situation. It's a single family home that's been converted into multiple units. Each floor is on its own panel with its own meter. There are three panels total and each is a 16 breaker GE box.

The panel I am concerned with is supposed to be running a 240v to the dryer in the basement. When I moved in, it was on a double pole breaker. Only one terminal at the dryer was getting 120v, though. After moving the breaker around I discovered that only spots 2a/2b and 4a/4b on the left side of the breaker are providing a load to the dryer. I also discovered that the breaker labeled "main" doesn't appear to control the power to any other breakers in the panel.

What does seem to control the power flowing to the 30a breakers are the two single pole 20a breakers in positions 4a/4b on the right side. (The main occupies positions 1a/1b/2a/2b). I am thoroughly confused. It's an older home, but none of the wiring here seems to make sense. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'll be happy to provide anything additional.

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier

davesparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Pictures speak a thousand words. Most of us are UK based, but we may be able to work out the basics of the problem from some pictures.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Is that panel supplied from an individual PoCo meter, or is it just a check-meter supplied as a sub-panel from elsewhere? It sounds like one hot to the panel is dead, although the fact that it enters via two single-pole 20A breakers makes it sound like a temporary hookup to back-feed the panel, perhaps from a 120V circuit that never had another hot, rather than the real supply it is supposed to have. Beware the possibility that someone has tried to pick up the two hots from different circuits.

Yes, pictures would help.

Lou

Mod
We are getting more and more members from other countries now we are world wide, our American members will be along later I'm sure someone will be able to help

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
I'm presently in a rental situation. It's a single family home that's been converted into multiple units. Each floor is on its own panel with its own meter. There are three panels total and each is a 16 breaker GE box.

The panel I am concerned with is supposed to be running a 240v to the dryer in the basement. When I moved in, it was on a double pole breaker. Only one terminal at the dryer was getting 120v, though. After moving the breaker around I discovered that only spots 2a/2b and 4a/4b on the left side of the breaker are providing a load to the dryer. I also discovered that the breaker labeled "main" doesn't appear to control the power to any other breakers in the panel.

What does seem to control the power flowing to the 30a breakers are the two single pole 20a breakers in positions 4a/4b on the right side. (The main occupies positions 1a/1b/2a/2b). I am thoroughly confused. It's an older home, but none of the wiring here seems to make sense. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'll be happy to provide anything additional.
Dhwilson I’m assuming you have a meter so do you have 240 phase to phase on your main breaker and the same thing on your dryer also

Reply to Bus issues. Advice? in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Top Bottom