Discuss Busbar - 1.2MVA generator install in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeruss

Hi all

I hope you can help.

In short:

I think I am being spun a line from my supplier.

I am contracting the installation of a 1.2MVA generator (outside the building), and my supplier is claiming new regulations stipulate a busbar must be used instead of the normal cabling to run to the building. Of course it's more expensive, bigger trench etc etc

It's a complicated relationship, and therefore difficult to get other suppliers involved.

The questions I have are:

Are there new regulations that stipulate a busbar must be used irrespective of generator output?

Assuming there are no reg changes

What is the maximum distance you can run cables before you need to use a busbar.
Is there a benefit to using a busbar over cable?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
anymore info.ie.what would the length of the run be,what is the gen.feeding,what switchgear are you using and where is the switchgear
yours benji

ditto benji, we need more info to see what the choices are.

Are you hoping to cable a long distance? would it need parralel feed cables and does this make the BB more viable?

I haven't heard of anything relating to a must for BB use in this situation

1.2 mega watt is a big generator, the current this generator can produce on 415volts is very very high, to carry a current like this will probably require a busbar system, if you try to carry this type of current in cables you may need to parralell 4 250mm cables up, or whatever, not good practice.

Fair play, that is a massive genset.....be worth a read of appendix 8 in ol' red should you go down this route.

I dont think there is a specified limit as long as the load is covered,but the problem is connecting at each end, if you use 4 250mm 4core cables, thats 16 connections 4 on each phase + neutral, almost impossible connecting depending on the size of termination box.

I dont think your supplier is giving you crap, its easier and better practice to carry this kind of load using busbars.

if you parralell cables up they all have to be fed from the same set of fuses or breakers, you cannot feed these cables from different switch fuses because if 1 set of fuses becomes tired and blows the other 3 cables will be trying to carry the load , cables will be overloaded

I dont think your supplier is giving you crap, its easier and better practice to carry this kind of load using busbars.

if you parralell cables up they all have to be fed from the same set of fuses or breakers, you cannot feed these cables from different switch fuses because if 1 set of fuses becomes tired and blows the other 3 cables will be trying to carry the load , cables will be overloaded

obviously-otherwise they wouldn't be parallelled:D

Im not sure what you are saying exactly but if it means running a busbar chamber in the trench? then you will still need to connect this BB to the generator via cable that will need to be terminated in the genny and be correctly rated. The genny will have an ACB or similar for overload/shortcircuit protection so you need to size the cables to this.

Reply to Busbar - 1.2MVA generator install in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net