Discuss Buying House - advice needed on full rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

oksamurai

Hi all, I would really appreciate some advice, I have had a survey done on a property I want to buy, and the Surveyor has advised that even though all the sockets and lighting work perfectly, I should get an electrical inspection done as the electrics look old and dated. From the picture I've included what are peoples opinions, are the electrics that bad ?
Buying House - advice needed on full rewire IMGP1228.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
Anyway, moving on. I'm reluctant to pay £250ish for a PIR or ECIR inspection as I get the feeling any electrical inspection will just state a full rewire is recommended due to the dated electrics in the property, so I'd rather bite the bullet and put that amount towards the cost of getting the whole house rewired for my own peace of mind.

My problem is, as there is a detached garage on the property with electricity, if I opt for a full rewire does it mean I automatically have to update the electrics in the Garage as well in order to comply with any regulations, as Ideally I would prefer to leave the garage well alone to save a bit of money. If anybody knows the answer that would be great.

Thanx all in advance.

the answer is impossible to give on a forum. you'd need at least a visual inspection with a few tests being done to determine the state of the cables etc. if it were me, i'd do an EICR for around £150 -£200. this charge would be deducted from a full rewire cost if i was doing it. a discount of part of the cost if it was a CU change and a bit of upgrading.

Save your money get a full rewire as it looks really old plus its the best time to bring the house up to standard ie buy it and whilst its empty get it sorted get extra power points and then forget about it

Looking at that 1 picture alone,it would appear that the wiring may be 1970s maybe older in parts,without doing a test on it we can only assume,if its empty then perhaps would be a good time to rewire,the wiring may still have some years in it yet,just some upgrading perhaps.If you are not prepared to pay for a check to be done then i would just advise a bit of haggling of the sale price with the vendor with any money you are able to get down put towards upgrades/alterations.

Beggars belief on here sometimes!! I bet you've already planned/scheduled in a new kitchen, costing in the thousands, so why not include a full rewire in that cost. Don't scrimp on safety, it has a bad habit of coming back and biting you're arse??

If the electrics are that bad, the mortgage lender won't give you the full mortgage value until such work is completed. As such, it's in your best interest to bring this subject up with the vendors, as being a justified reason for renegotiation of the properties asking price...

If surrounding properties are of the same age as your property, ask your neighbours if any of them have had rewires etc. Best to get all sorted out now whilst house empty and done to your needs/ requirements. Why get all settled in decorated etc. then discover problems later and have to undo everything. Get ECIR done, refund if work carried out.

So why don't you spend £200.00 on a proper EICR, and IF it recommends a rewire, then you could arrange a discount off the price you have agreed of say £2K??

So back to the OP, allow at least £1K per bedroom to approx cost the rewire, plus more for fancy LED downlights etc.

By the way where is "The Shire"?

Tbh any property I buy where the wiring is over 30 year of age I rewire as I like to bring the install to my own spec and requirements many people spend thousands decorating and having fancy kitchen , bathrooms to find a few years later the need a rewire or want lots of additions ie lots more sockets light ect always pays to have this done before any projects you have planned .

looks very dated, however as 2 or 3 of the established members here suggested I would consider a check which should be around £150-£200, you may find that a DB change is all that's required, However do not be surprised if a rewire is recommended.

I'd be having a word with the people selling the properly. Suggest they drop the price by £xxxx to help cover your costs in rewiring it. When they object then suggest they could always pay for a electrical condition report to prove to you that it isn't necessary ;)

Either way, whether a report suggests a rewire of not it should clearly say what is wrong with the installation, along with severity so you can make your own mind up whether to take the advise or just fix the things that are necessary (basically all the C1 and C2 observations).

Just get it re-wired.

Get a sparky around to price it up (free estimate). Dangle the carrot anyway and the estimate should be free...

Whatever the estimate is, get it knocked off the price of the house, then it hasn't cost you anything.

That sounds like a good idea. I personally love taking the time to properly discuss and estimate a job only to find at the end of it the client was just 'dangling the carrot' as you put it.
Nothing like a good timewaster to pay the bills.

That sounds like a good idea. I personally love taking the time to properly discuss and estimate a job only to find at the end of it the client was just 'dangling the carrot' as you put it.
Nothing like a good timewaster to pay the bills.
Yes indeed. There is enoughs time wasting arses out there already, thinking you should be grateful for the chance to even quote.

Thanx for your reply, just to quickly quiz you on something, as there is a detached garage on the property with electricity, if I need a full rewire, does it mean I automatically have to update the electrics in the Garage as well in order to comply with any regulations, as Ideally I would prefer to leave the garage well alone to save a bit of money.

if the electrics in the garage are safe for continued use, then they can be left alone, as long as RCD protection is there to comply with current regs ( this RCD can be part of the house rewire )

Reply to Buying House - advice needed on full rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock