Discuss BX outer case broke... what to do? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So while pulling BX cable through the walls, it got stuck and I accidentally broke the metal casing exposing the inner wires. Can I just wrap electrical tape around this section of the wire, or should I cut the wire and terminate inside a junction box and then reattach a new wire from the junction box and continue the run?

Attachments

• BCC99602-AB87-421D-B40A-B6FD68D710EC.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 36
I am not sure what parts are available in your country but you need to put a through joint on that with the correct glands and through a metal conduit or adaptable box to ensure continuity of the metal sheath.
I apologise for using UK terms but maybe one of our US members can point you in the right direction here as to exactly what you need to buy.

So while pulling BX cable through the walls, it got stuck and I accidentally broke the metal casing exposing the inner wires. Can I just wrap electrical tape around this section of the wire, or should I cut the wire and terminate inside a junction box and then reattach a new wire from the junction box and continue the run?
DO NOT leave that MC cable like that, the metal can and will cut that wire. You have only 2 choices which is either replace the cable or add a junction box and make a splice and don’t forget to install the plastic inserts. If it was me I would just replace the cable. By splicing the cable it’s just another place for something that could go wrong

That is Metal Clad, MC, cable, not BX, Armored Cable, AC, they each have their own code sections & requirements, MC does not require anti short bushings (I use them anyway), but AC does require them to be used.
I agree that either a junction box will have to be used to splice the cable, or replace it. AC cable is covered in NEC Article 320, & MC is in Article 330.

That is Metal Clad, MC, cable, not BX, Armored Cable, AC, they each have their own code sections & requirements, MC does not require anti short bushings (I use them anyway), but AC does require them to be used.
I agree that either a junction box will have to be used to splice the cable, or replace it. AC cable is covered in NEC Article 320, & MC is in Article 330.
The inspector would fail your job if you didn’t install the plastic inserts. That statement is not in the NEC

The inspector has no grounds to fail for no red heads w/ MC, IT IS NOT REQUIRED, check article 330, there is absolutely no mention of them being required, they are required by 320.40 for AC cable.

The inspector has no grounds to fail for no red heads w/ MC, IT IS NOT REQUIRED, check article 330, there is absolutely no mention of them being required, they are required by 320.40 for AC cable.
No there is no mention of the adding inserts at all because that should be common Sense it’s METAL CLAD cable and if you don’t add the inserts it will over time cut the wire. They sell them with the cable and you shouldn’t need a code book to tell you to use them. Draw a permit and do a job using MC cable and don’t use inserts on any of your cables and see how your inspection goes. We are not talking about AC cable

If not mentioned in the code it is not required, a inspector cannot pull a requirement out of their azz, red heads being required in MC is strictly a urban legend code, as I said that I use them anyway.

From the Southwire website:

A copy & paste from the site.
"Anti-short bushings are not required for use with MC cable per the NEC and UL"
I’m not going to argue over plastic inserts. I’m glad you are using them and have a good day my friend

The NEC is a minimum. It also states that local/state AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), has ultimate control. Whether it's the local town inspector or Charlotte/Mecklenburg county inspector. If they want to see an anti-short, you put one in. Some jobs I've been on there is more than one.

So you're both right.

The NEC is a minimum. It also states that local/state AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction), has ultimate control. Whether it's the local town inspector or Charlotte/Mecklenburg county inspector. If they want to see an anti-short, you put one in. Some jobs I've been on there is more than one.

So you're both right.
The inspector is not the AHJ, they work for the AHJ, there are jurisdictions that have adopted stricter rules, but they must be adopted, a inspector cannot just make up rules.

You seem to think it is OK for a inspector to make up rules, it's not, it as I said many adopt more stringent rules and as long as it goes through the proper process, like it or not it's the rules, local jurisdiction has combo inspectors & a lot is let go. :( IMHO, more for revenue then safety.

Reply to BX outer case broke... what to do? in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net