Discuss Bypassin rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
:cool:jus finished 4 xmas,last job was to add extra 2g sockets in school,these were supplied off local circuits.Doin the test procedures,even wiv our non trip ELI meter the rcd tripped,so i attempted to by pass rcd & then test.We all no this isnt the easiest thing 2 do,the rcd gave a little bang & tripped,reset & tried again,exactly the same thing happened,now doin it twice was fine but theres no way a third time,reset & ok.Any1 --- across this the, rcd is a BS4293,63 amp 30ma mayb 15 -20 years old MK.So.. no test were performed on circuit,this was noted,but u can jus imagine when new term starts,it was ok untill u lot came,hav a gud 1 ta ra bab:cool:

so, ramp test the rcd. if faulty replace the dasmn thing. job done

Ramp test the RCD, never bypass it. The Zs test measured will require the RCD in circuit for an accurate reading.
If the ramp test doesn't confirm a faulty RCD, try your low trip on another RCD to verify that the tester is putting out a low enough current under test. If the low trip works fine, then go back to thinking about changing the nuisance RCD.

if you were to bypass the RCD you would be leaving the installation in a more unsafe condition. make sure you leave a MR. Electric invoice and job sheet.

yeah the by pass was only 2 test the zs on circuit,both testers on the low settin were takin rcd out,bit of a ball ache 2 change db,mk 8 way ,rcd up front,will need rcbos etc,all because we added skts,a PIT sticker on db shows tested last year. A new year job already,thanks all merry xmas & new year.

If you need in future to test for Zs and have a no trip meter or even a soft trip that trips the RCd then you could do:

Isolate the circuit from the MCB and lock off. Link phase and earth out at the end of the circuit. Then at the DB one probe on the load side of the MCB you have isolated and the other probe onto the main switch or supply side of the RCD, do your EFLI test and that will be the ZS for the circuit. Then AFTER DISCONNECTING THE LINK reset MCB

Merry CHristmas.

:cool:jus finished 4 xmas,last job was to add extra 2g sockets in school,these were supplied off local circuits.Doin the test procedures,even wiv our non trip ELI meter the rcd tripped,so i attempted to by pass rcd & then test.We all no this isnt the easiest thing 2 do,the rcd gave a little bang & tripped,reset & tried again,exactly the same thing happened,now doin it twice was fine but theres no way a third time,reset & ok.Any1 --- across this the, rcd is a BS4293,63 amp 30ma mayb 15 -20 years old MK.So.. no test were performed on circuit,this was noted,but u can jus imagine when new term starts,it was ok untill u lot came,hav a gud 1 ta ra bab:cool:

Is this some kind of Foreign language ?? :)

Golden boy
Not up to youngspeak standard I'm sorry,you will have to practice more
Your words did sound to me like the black folk in "Gone with the wind" though :)

OMG PMSL, BTW don't be dissin da yun uns innit. Goin bak 2 ma crib in me 400bhp punto 2 whatch Ali G. Heees baad. C yas, piece out 4 now, layters.;););)

.make sure you leave a MR. Electric invoice and job sheet

Excuse my ignorance but have seen this type of comment a few times on this site and was just wondering what the deal is with them.

Being from the distant corner of the UK there is no MR Electric on our shores. Had a wee look on the net and it appears they are a national company. Take it they are famous for their incompetance and dodgy work at high prices?

They are primary associated with insurance companies that offer the call out cover on a policy. In all fairness they are an American Franchise and a lot of their practices are to say the least cheesy. You turn up in your shirt and tie and put down a outside carpet so you can wipe your feet and even supply their guys shoe covers and such.

What the trouble is they tend to get called out and in all fairness they do tend to find and repair the fault, but they then try and drum up business by highlighting to a non technical person that their installation is not up to the latest standards and the bonding is not right and there is a lack of RCD protection which the new standards recommend, so though technically they are correct they omit to tell the person that the installation is still safe and even if you didn't spend hundreds upgrading to the 17th, you would not be in any mortal danger.

so they tend to get frowned upon as much do the British Gas service.

Reply to Bypassin rcd in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net