Discuss C&G 2330 Level 2 - 204 Practical Exam (fluorescent & 3 phase) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

ebow72

-
Reaction score
I don't know if this is of any use, but I undertook my 204 exam today, passed with an distinction. I found it pretty easy and if there is anyone about to take it, don't panic or worry. It's a pretty simple exercise in taking a few readings and documenting them. You also have to explain why the reading is different with the capacitor in and out of the circuit, explain why a choke has an effect and what the capacitor does.
I also had to compile a risk assessment, PPE and tools list as If I was doing a job in a public place, again pretty straight forward, if you do a bit of reading and revision on it, you can't go wrong. I will go into more detail too if anyone needs too.

I just have my 'bay in a day' to do next week now.

Yeah i would like more info please!!, iv done my 206 passed with a distinction. . . proper doddle!!

got my 203 in bout two weeks time then my 204 the week after. . . .

Was the 206 pretty straight forward then? We aren't allowed to keep any documents for the 204, as they are kept at college, so while it's still fresh in my head..there are 2 separate rigs set up on 2 boards. You have probably seen them knocking about.
3 phase - you need to check the voltage between each phase, then between each phase and neutral. We had 3 100w bulbs connected to 3 separate sockets on each phase, using a clip on ammeter you check the current through each phase and check the neutral. Make a note of your readings as you test. The written bit asks what would cause return current to flow down the neutral. You have to write a short bit on this.

Fluorescent - take readings at circuit with the capacitor in / out, at the choke, at the light and supply. take readings for volts and amps.
The written bit asks why the voltage at the choke and the the light don't add up to the supply voltage, all to do with power factor and phasor diagrams. Also you have to explain what a capacitor does in this circuit.

There are 2 other written bits are to do with 'Safe Isolation Procedure' and 'Tools and PPE' you have to imagine you are about to repair a light at the public place IE shopping center, gym and so on...List what items of PPE you would need and what tools, don't forget barriers, signs, locking off equipment..
I don't actually think this is done by C&G, I think as we are not out on site yet, the college has to prove we are competent now after all this time. It may differ from college to college. If you need anymore info for the tools and PPE I did a massive check list and risk assessment for it, no on else bothered with it and I was the only one who got a distinction, you have to show you have been planning for it..
I hope this helps and don't mind helping out again..
You could brief me on the 206 if you have a spare minute or two.

Cheers

thats brilliant mate, im pretty confident with phasor diagrams and proving with pythagorus etc so nice one for little insight. . . i have seen the the board that we have to work from but they have been keeping pretty quiet with what we have to test and prove etc. . . . .
the 206 we had to set up a two way lighting in steel 20mm conduit with two lamps, ring circuit with 4 outlets in PVC and had to make the steel tray work to attach SWA, consumer unit and all the conduit. . . was a proper doddle to be honest, all the paper work seem to be along the same lines of the 204 but dont worry you will fly through as it seems your like me and seem pretty meticulous in how you go about your paperwork. .

yeah very similar run to be fair, iv got a few pics of what mine looked like after completion, if i could upload them i would but image uploader keeps saying failed!!:mad::mad:
but just take your time mate the job just flows once you have made all your marks for locations

Good luck matey
IMG_1933.jpg

How did you get on with your 204? Just out of interest what did you get for the 206? Credit or Distinction? I have just had my results back for my 204, distinction...and then it's the big one on Monday..did you do a lot of pre planning?

how comes you didnt tie your swa down :p.
i found the 204 very easy my tutors basicly did it for me and i got a destinction same with 206
i would say 203 is the hardest exam you can get.
in order of easiest to hardest i would say the exams go 201,204,206,205,202,203.
depending on what questions you get.

hahaha i no!!
my tutor told me not to bother tying it down proper as we was repositioning the isolators. . and that other lads was waiting for my SWA. . .
still looked smart tho

how comes you didnt tie your swa down :p.
i found the 204 very easy my tutors basicly did it for me and i got a destinction same with 206
i would say 203 is the hardest exam you can get.
in order of easiest to hardest i would say the exams go 201,204,206,205,202,203.
depending on what questions you get.

we have started the 204 and explaining the difference with the capacitor in the circuit and without, not as bad as i was expecting to be honest

I've taken the proverbial with this. I'm having to take my 4th one tomorrow!

I'm part-time over 2 years and been pretty much going through the motions; totally forgot my first one - though a turbulent time for me -; had a brain-freeze the second; and got late for my third!

Thankfully the tutor's sound - and yeah, it's pretty easy, but I just self-combust at most simple things ?. :mad:

It's a shame I can't IRT my own metre!

Yes I would, but let's just hear the negative criticism because you obviously was never a student and ur work was always impeccably perfect when you first started wasn't it....

Reply to C&G 2330 Level 2 - 204 Practical Exam (fluorescent & 3 phase) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net