Discuss C&g 2330 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wilber

Hello all,
im interested in some opinions on the C&G 2330 electrotechnical technology course. Im doing my final year at the moment and just a little curious as to what others think of this course. Lots of H&S which is repeated many times on the ECS and the CCNSG safety passport courses which are mandatory to work on sites these days. How many times do you have to tell people the correct angle a ladder should be erected, or what colour a warning sign is? How about telling us about a little circuitry instead of how long a hard hat lasts. Part of the practical was testing an installation of a ring main and 2 way lighting circuit. I believe some of us were marked down for not knowing how to do this despite never being shown. What do you guys think? I know that the tutors don't get paid a great deal, which may explain the shortage, but sometimes I get a lack of interest from them, as do other people who attend a different college. I will finish the course because its costing me £700 a year plus loss of earnings because I have to stay local to attend. Can anyone tell me a better way to get graded? Is this possible without the certs? Any feedback is appreciated.

Wilber,
I am also in my 3rd yr of 2330. To be honest, it is a cr*p course. I work as a sparks and found that the course taught me little in practical but a fair bit about three phase and transformers and motors! I have only just found out this week (finally) that this course doesn't even get you 'qualified' in the eyes of the JIB. To be recognised as an electrician the JIB states you also need NVQ level 3 which means a 4th yr at college and a further £800! I have actually paid £907 for yr 3 and feel it is extortionate. If you just do your 2330 then the JIB class you as an 'improver' and current rates of pay are laughable at £9.88 per hour! The way I am doing it is to get my 2330, 2391 this coming summer and I will NOT be working for a JIB company when I gain my ticket! What is just as irritating is that I finish in June but then have to sit the 17th edition, even though the month it comes out is the month I finish. :mad:

hi guys, i'm doing the 2330 also and should be finished in June.
i've seen the practical exam we are supposed to be doing and there's not a ring in sight, it's all radial.
as for course content, it does seem to be lacking somewhat, as i'm 36 married with 3 kids and gave up a full time job to get this course done in a year i am feeling conned tbh, especially as i have to sit an NVQ3 afterwards, is it possible to do the NVQ in parrallel with the 2330?

Hi,

I'm also a working sparky and finding some parts of this course totally pointless. However, I see the governments point in getting good sparky's. Just look at how hard it is to get CORGI!
I did find a good site, 2391 Inspection and Testing Britannia Training Ltd Home Page
which has some free questions, but also papers for 2330 and 2391 to buy. At £3 a full paper, it was well worth the money. 100 sample questions, with explanations. I'm just practicing and practicing in case they come up.:)

Why do your nvq 3 at the end? Only need this if you want to be recognised by jib.

but isn't it better to get a much paper work as possible?
also i thought you need L 3 to be eligible to take inspection and test?

Mattbus,

No you dont need L3 to be eligible to take inspect and test (i assume you mean 2391?)

You dont need ANYTHING to be able to inspect and test!

The only thing you have to be is COMPETENT. For people to take 2391 they SHOULD have 16th (now 17th) edition regs, thats it. I always 'vet' my potential students to ensure that they have sufficient backgroung knowledge / experience to be able to handle the course, but the majority of my 2391 guys have done the DEI course and their regs (with me!)

Last edited by a moderator:
but isn't it better to get a much paper work as possible?
also i thought you need L 3 to be eligible to take inspection and test?

I don't think so, it is just a way for colleges and such like to keep making money out of you. Depends if you want to go on and be the eternal student really and then become a technician and do your HNc / D etc. Most important thing in my book is to have 2330 or equivalent, 2391 and 17th edition.

i have been on the part time (evenings) 2330 level 2 course since september, (i am retraining at age 49) so we only have 3 hours per week to get everything in. our practical work so far consists of small installations on wooden boards 3ft x 3 ft, which i think serve well to demonstrate principles etc. My understanding is that the course is meant to be basic. I bought the books "Electrical installations NVQ and technical certivicate " book 1 and 2 by JTL training. from waterstones, they have a few minor errors, but i think you need to read them in conjunction with doing the course. I dont know about others on this forum, but i feel i am learning quite a lot. still, the proof will be when i try to get as job

i have been on the part time (evenings) 2330 level 2 course since september, (i am retraining at age 49) so we only have 3 hours per week to get everything in. our practical work so far consists of small installations on wooden boards 3ft x 3 ft, which i think serve well to demonstrate principles etc. My understanding is that the course is meant to be basic. I bought the books "Electrical installations NVQ and technical certivicate " book 1 and 2 by JTL training. from waterstones, they have a few minor errors, but i think you need to read them in conjunction with doing the course. I dont know about others on this forum, but i feel i am learning quite a lot. still, the proof will be when i try to get as job especially at my age.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too started the 2330 in sept, got the 201 exam when we're back in next week, which I'd probably pass in my sleep. Then the 202 the week after.

If anyone has any good sites where you may find revision questions, past exam papers for 202, I'd appreciate it. :)

I too started the 2330 in sept, got the 201 exam when we're back in next week, which I'd probably pass in my sleep. Then the 202 the week after.

If anyone has any good sites where you may find revision questions, past exam papers for 202, I'd appreciate it. :)

try this
SmartScreen : Home
you need to ask your course provider for their centre number and password so that you can enrol

Hi Just to add to this thred,
I am in my second year of 2330, i allready have 2391 and 16th regs cource so am back filling a bit realy.

I'v herad that if i were to take the AM2 exam i may beable to forgo some of the NVQ 3 stuff next year.

Any one have some advice on this one ??

JIB are not in charge of the indusrty and so you don't need to do yet another money making course to be an electrician.

JIB are completely out of date and a NVQ is not needed to work in the industry.

So why and when would people need the nvq 3 or AM2

?

If they wanted to become a member of JIB and get paid the rates that they propose.

You don't need a JIB card to become an electrician or to be a member of a government approved electrical scheme.

If you are looking to work on a JIB construction site then you would probably need one.

Read this thread that I started a while back. Plenty of different views on there.

http://www.electriciansforums.net/e...cal-nvqs/1656-jib-cards-nvq-level-3-joke.html

Reply to C&g 2330 in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock