Discuss C&G 2391-52 course content/delivery in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Question about 2391-52 (initial verification and periodic testing)

A brief background to my situation; I do some in-house wiring for industrial applications, stuff like 3-phase motors, phase controllers, machines into spurs, that sort of thing. I’m not a proper spark & don’t pretend to be - which is where my problems start. I’m trying to get off the factory floor and into the field a bit more - this means doing the same jobs but at a customers site. Customers understandably want proof of competence for their risk assessments and insurance, which I need to get.

I’ve been on the standard 18th Ed course & passed the test fine. This is because they taught me everything during the course - I’d never even opened the regs book until I was in the classroom.

So, the 2391-52 course is apparently very difficult. But will they teach me everything I need to know as part of the course before the test? They say prior experience is essential, but realistically how much experience is needed? Or is it really a case that I should only go on it if I am already able to do it?

In the regs course I noticed that I had an advantage over experience as I had to look up every single answer in the book whereas anyone with experience answered straight away and often gave the real-life answer instead of the regs answer. I guess this won’t be the case for the 2391-52?

Tl;dr; What are the chances of reading GN3 and blagging it?

Thanks for any guidance!

How comfortable are you with testing and inspection? Do you test the work you do now and fill in installation certs?

How comfortable are you with testing and inspection? Do you test the work you do now and fill in installation certs?
I’d say I’m comfortable with the concepts, but not overly familiar with the example certs in the regs book, or the practical side of them.

The testing & record keeping I do is quite product specific. The forms are more of a checklist and the tests are more like a glorified PAT test. Obviously if I ever make it to site I’ll do the full tests/certs - but it’s a chicken & egg situation I’m in.

I have just got access to a multifunction tester, so have the opportunity to get used to it.

Thanks

I’d say I’m comfortable with the concepts, but not overly familiar with the example certs in the regs book, or the practical side of them.

The testing & record keeping I do is quite product specific. The forms are more of a checklist and the tests are more like a glorified PAT test. Obviously if I ever make it to site I’ll do the full tests/certs - but it’s a chicken & egg situation I’m in.

I have just got access to a multifunction tester, so have the opportunity to get used to it.

Thanks

I think that will be a key thing - becoming comfortable with using the MFT.

I can only really comment on when I did the course and exam back in 2006

The problem with the 2391 course there are 2 ways the theory is taught, one way is just plodding through past exams and questions and learning the answers the other is where it is properly taught so you understand how you get to the correct answer with reference to past questions.
Going through a few past exams does give you the experience of the format and past experience from site work helps

The practical part can be a bit pressurised with time being the enemy when trying to complete all the parts, I can't remember too much about that part of the exam other than the exam area was a rather overheated mezzanine floor on a very hot day

You really need good experience with Mft, testing and certification as you are against the clock as UNG mention. You will be given scenario of say fire in factory and you will need to do eicr to ascertain if installation is safe and you will also do testing on new part of the install. If I recall it was 2.5 hours to test all and fill eic and eicr. You will also need to find couple of faults and report it.
Practical exam is the diffucult bit and on the top of that you will have online one, written one and some pics showing some dangerous wiring to code

The problem with the periodic inspection course and exam Is you can pass it, but still not be competent to carry out inspections in different types of installations.
You need familiarity and experience of working on the type of installation you are testing.
It takes years of on site experience working in a particular type of installation to be competent in carrying out EICR’s on that type of installation.

Concentrate on working in the type of installation you want to do EICR’s on first. Maybe a bit of faultfinding, installation, replace additions etc….
You shouldn’t even consider doing EICR’s until you have the experience and confidence in the above.
Once your happy and confident in doing this you can think about doing EICR’s Not before.

This has to be the most profound bit of advice given on this forum in years.

Having passed this course in its current format .
I would say get the ticket . Now get ready to learn.
It was in a Sparkyninja podcast (EICR - The Missing Tests, I think), from his old man actually, that when a learner was asked how long they've been an electrician for and the reply was something along the lines of "I passed my exam 10 years ago but have only BEEN an electrician for the past 5'. (words and timings thr the effect thereof)

Meaning that they did the test and got the but of paper but only actually classed them-selves as an electrician a few years after, having gained experience and realworld application and I found that quite apt.

Thanks everyone for your advise.

I’ll get a bit of the practical side under my belt then give it a go. Time to start looking in skips for old DBs to make a test rig!

I appreciate the concerns from Pete & all too - just to put your mind at ease this is mainly a box-ticking exercise to get me through the doors of a couple of organisations to install a box of tricks that I helped design. I won’t be out selling EICR services the next day, I’ll usually just be checking an existing spur & some bonding.

Cheers!

As for your thoughts on getting a db from a skip, i bought a garage 2/3/way populated rcd main swtch from screwfx for not a lot of pennies which could likely be used somewhere else after the test rig. IF you choose the right course provider you might get lucky enough to have access to a suitable """similar""" non c&g rig

As for your thoughts on getting a db from a skip, i bought a garage 2/3/way populated rcd main swtch from screwfx for not a lot of pennies which could likely be used somewhere else after the test rig. IF you choose the right course provider you might get lucky enough to have access to a suitable """similar""" non c&g rig
Just Google city and guilds electrical test rigs will bring up some schematics, pre 2015 format I believe but still, good to play with

Reply to C&G 2391-52 course content/delivery in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net