Discuss C&G 2919 EV Charging domestic and commercial course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

How do you make that out as there is now a new section in the regs pertaining to this and car manufacturers are now making quite a few electric vehicles.

Battery tech is still in its infancy and needs to improve.

Until they get lighter with a larger capacity with quicker charge times I can't see it taking off.

Personally I think its more likely that hydrogen fuel cells will be a more widspread alternative

Electric cars, a Green scam...

So more electric cars mean less pollution? In theory, yes, because there are no tailpipe emissions. But bear in mind most people charge batteries by using electricity from carbon-fuelled power stations. The result, according to RAC research, is whole-life emissions of 105g/km of CO2 for pure electric vehicles compared with 81g/km for a conventional petrol car.

Personally I think its more likely that hydrogen fuel cells will be a more widspread alternative

There is no viable storage/ transport solution (as hydrogen leaks very easy and reacts with everything) and it costs several times more energy to process hydrogen (as it comes from reforming natural resources) than to just charge an electric car. That's before you spend billions on putting in infrastructure for it thought the developed world, hence why the 'hydrogen economy' has been dumped after billions of investment

As for the course.....a charging point is pretty much a socket with an earth rod, failing that refer to manufacture's instructions.......course complete £500 please :)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]81g co2/km is very low for a petrol car (iirc my Subaru is 270ish), I'm guessing they based that off a very new 1.0l hatchback. Anyway my problem with that argument is it completely misses half the point of vehicle electrification is to reduce local level pollution, this being because it's very bad for your health ([/FONT]BBC News - Traffic pollution kills 5,000 a year in UK, says study). Made worse this last decade or so because the push for more diesels vehicles which emits quite a lot of carcinogens, NoX, particulates etc.

It also assumes that coal, oil and gas will be fuelling us in the future which is looking increasingly (hopefully) less so as cleaner sources such as solar and nuclear are gaining higher priority

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to C&G 2919 EV Charging domestic and commercial course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net