Discuss C&G 5357 Lvl 3 Electrotechnical - Duration? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

SJG90

-
Reaction score
Hi All

I have been very lucky to be employed as an apprentice at a company who will be putting me through the C&G 5357.

I have had paperwork and various internet sources tell me different timescales to complete this course, ranging from 2 to 4 years.

Being keen and a fast learner, how quickly (assuming I understand everything / put in maximum effort to complete work, modules and tests ASAP) can I get through it? Is 2 years actually achievable or will I find myself at the mercy of outside circumstance which will hold me up or be specifically time-gated?

Thanks

To be honest they will only let you go as fast as your class. The 4th year is really for finishing off your portfolio & taking your AM2, so if you have this completed by halfway through your 3rd year they can send it off for verification (which can take a few months apparently) & book you in for the AM2 at the beginning of the 4th year saving you some time off your apprenticeship.
Thats what Im trying to do.

I think it depends on how old you are. If you start at 16 Years then you won't become a jouneymen before your 21. If you are older then its possible to reduce the training time. Personally, I wouldn't encourage shorter training periods as hopefully you'll get guided experience in different areas of the industry rather than having to work it out for yourself at a later stage because of a rushed apprenticeship.
Have a look at this.

https://cdn.cityandguilds.com/Produ...hnical_qualification_handbook_v2_July2018.pdf

Thank you for the replies.

I am late 20’s and I am going to be working for the company who is providing my employment and apprenticeship placement at the local college full time until the new acedemic year in September where I will drop to 4 days at the company and 1 day at the college. During the next 6 months I will hopefully gain a lot of ‘working knowledge’ to give me a decent grounding for the acedemic work which will take place one day a week.

As mentioned in the previous post I’d be keen to head towards the 2 year timescale, however this may not be the case / recommended judging from the replies?

As a mature 'student' I would recomend you get as much as experience as possible and pick up the theory on the way, so to speak. Of course you need a structured theory but I suspect you want to get out and start earning.

Portfolio preparation and collecting evidence of the work you do on a day to day basis for you NVQ is important
Keeping notes, plans, diagrams, picture and methods of working will be useful for your diary and something that you'll want to keep for cpd reference in later life.
If you have GCSEs you are going to be Ok, better if you have any A levels or ONC/Ds as you will know how to learn and pick up theory a lot easier than without them.
The AM2 is the practical assessment which makes up the final part of the NVQ qualification. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you what's in that exam. I suggest you keep your eyes open and ears to the ground when at college.

Thank you ackbar, the information is much appreciated.

I am indeed keen to start earning, however the company are paying me for my employment and all course fees etc so not a huge urgency however the better rates of pay once qualified are preferable and from a personal point of view I want to be as independent and useful as possible as soon as possible.

I have achieved good A level results in the core subjects so acedemicly I do not foresee any learning issues.

I understand reference the diary and AM2.

With all the above considered would completing the course in 2 years be feasible or is this wishful thinking?

Reply to C&G 5357 Lvl 3 Electrotechnical - Duration? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net