Discuss C&G2330 L2 and L3 part time evening college course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gt67

I am planning to do both on a part time basis in the evening at a local college so I can continue with my day job until the time is right to leave or redundancy hits.

Q: can the L3 be done this way if you are not actually working in the electrical trade? Is there some practical "on the job" work that has to be done/assessed in order to pass the course?

The college I have applied to doesn't have anyone in the electrical department until 26th which is why I have asked the question here.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi gt
i went down this route with my 2330 and it was 3 long years learning a lot of stuff that will probably never be used in the real world. there was obviously some very interesting bits too.
most of the fellow students at my college that werent in the trade made up their own company letterhead for entry requirements at level 3 and said they worked for themselves and none of them were challenged in anyway and all passed the course ok.
all the work you will be assessed on will be installed by you at the college where you choose to take the course so there is no site based parts to this course.
all the best with the course

My youngest son did this as well. He was working during the week and what he did was volunteer to help a local contractor at weekends. Although he would have done it free the guy saw him all right for a few quid cash.

I am planning to do both on a part time basis in the evening at a local college so I can continue with my day job until the time is right to leave or redundancy hits.

Q: can the L3 be done this way if you are not actually working in the electrical trade? Is there some practical "on the job" work that has to be done/assessed in order to pass the course?

The college I have applied to doesn't have anyone in the electrical department until 26th which is why I have asked the question here.

which college are you applying to?

HI GT
I STUDIED WITH THURROCK COLLEGE AND THEY ARE BLOODY USELESS.
IN THE 3 YEARS I SPENT THERE I ONLY ENCOUNTERED A COUPLE OF TUTORS THAT ACTUALLY KNEW THEIR STUFF.
THE OTHERS ARE USED TO TEACHING SCHOOL LEAVERS NOT ADULT LEARNERS AND LOOK STUNNED WHEN YOU ASK A RELEVANT QUESTION THAT THEY DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO AND YOU WILL HEAR THE RESPONSE "I WILL GET BACK TO YOU NEXT WEEK WITH THAT ONE" OR "DONT WORRY THATS ALL COVERED NEXT YEAR" AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK.
WHAT A SHAMBLES THAT PLACE IS:mad::mad::mad:

HI GT
I STUDIED WITH THURROCK COLLEGE AND THEY ARE BLOODY USELESS.
IN THE 3 YEARS I SPENT THERE I ONLY ENCOUNTERED A COUPLE OF TUTORS THAT ACTUALLY KNEW THEIR STUFF.
THE OTHERS ARE USED TO TEACHING SCHOOL LEAVERS NOT ADULT LEARNERS AND LOOK STUNNED WHEN YOU ASK A RELEVANT QUESTION THAT THEY DONT KNOW THE ANSWER TO AND YOU WILL HEAR THE RESPONSE "I WILL GET BACK TO YOU NEXT WEEK WITH THAT ONE" OR "DONT WORRY THATS ALL COVERED NEXT YEAR" AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK.
WHAT A SHAMBLES THAT PLACE IS:mad::mad::mad:

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up Flukey - maybe I will have to look closer at Colchester

When were you there and did you do the 2330 course?

Finished this june, so 2005-2008 and yes i did the 2330 l2 and l3.

I saw sense and did my 2391 at eversafe training in rayleigh who were miles better than thurrock and come highly recommended from me.

Dont know anyone thats been to colchester but hear chelmsford is as bad as thurrock.

You shouldnt have too much trouble with the course if you put the time in as i went through with distinctions all the way but i realised early on that passing the course would be entirely down to me as the tutors just seemed to start arguments amongst class memebers when they couldnt substantiate what they were telling us!!!

Finished this june, so 2005-2008 and yes i did the 2330 l2 and l3.

I saw sense and did my 2391 at eversafe training in rayleigh who were miles better than thurrock and come highly recommended from me.

Dont know anyone thats been to colchester but hear chelmsford is as bad as thurrock.

You shouldnt have too much trouble with the course if you put the time in as i went through with distinctions all the way but i realised early on that passing the course would be entirely down to me as the tutors just seemed to start arguments amongst class memebers when they couldnt substantiate what they were telling us!!!

Just had a look at the Eversafe site and notice that they do the 2330 - think I will; give them a call tomorrow.

As I will be self funding I want somewhere I know that I am going to get the right level of training and be confident in the lecturers knowledge.

You should be quids in too.
2391 at thurrock is £749 all in whereas at eversafe its £425 all in.:)
I reckon their 2330 will be somewhat cheaper than thurrock too.;);)
All the best
flukey

Hello
I am doing the G&G 2330 Level 2 at South Kent College (Folkestone, Dover), Our instructors are excellent, however I do not work in the trade, and dont expect to get any employment due to the collapse of the housing market and because i am 50 years old!! (who would want to take on a 50 year old trainee) I am doing it to prove a point.

This might put the cat among the pegions, there is no prerequisit by City & Guilds that a candidate has to complete 2330 level 2 prior to commencing 2330 level 3.
However a lot of fundamental principles will have been covered in the level 2, a good text book if opened, read through carefully and understood would go a long way to providing one with the funamental principles. A problem may be your local college insisting on the 2330 level 2 being undertaken and achieved prior to the 2330 level 3 course. This provides the college with more revenue and a lesser risk of the learner withdrawing or being unsuccesful which goes down as a failure affecting colleges retention and pass rates which Ofsted give such weight to when conducting inspections of colleges.

Nick Ward

Nick Ward

quite right nick,
we had a fellow student with us last year that failed at level 2 but breezed level 3 :confused::confused:
the college had said he needed to pass level 2 as an entry requirement but he still slipped through :eek::eek:

This might put the cat among the pegions, there is no prerequisit by City & Guilds that a candidate has to complete 2330 level 2 prior to commencing 2330 level 3.
However a lot of fundamental principles will have been covered in the level 2, a good text book if opened, read through carefully and understood would go a long way to providing one with the funamental principles. A problem may be your local college insisting on the 2330 level 2 being undertaken and achieved prior to the 2330 level 3 course. This provides the college with more revenue and a lesser risk of the learner withdrawing or being unsuccesful which goes down as a failure affecting colleges retention and pass rates which Ofsted give such weight to when conducting inspections of colleges.

Nick Ward

Nick Ward

That's what I was told so I have applied for the L3 course because after buying a book that covers the L2 syllabus I find that I have covered most of it either when I did my HNC in electrical engineering and also the general safety stuff we have to comply for with work so that is that section covered. The other stuff I recon I can do by reading the book.

When I first contacted them I told them that I will be self funding as a career change - surely that would imply that I will not be giving up and wasting money.

Hi Graham I am still on holiday at present. I don't have electronic syllabus , I will try and access City & Guilds smartscreen website, if I can failing that contact City & Guilds and they may send u it electronically. I will try and attach a outline of the syllabus however don't panaic about the size of the syllabus content as a lot of the subjects are repetative of the level 2 syllabus.Thats why a good text book may be a good investment. How do I insert a file on this forum 4 U? Or send me your email

Just to let you guys know, I just completed my 17th edition with Eversafe and found them excellent, I found their attention to detail and help second to none. I would return to them for any future training needs.

Hi ya Flukey, sorry to pinch this thread, I live in Wickford, any whispers of any work around this area, if there is a different way of speaking to each other I would then nicking others thread let me know. I would appreciate any help.

Reply to C&G2330 L2 and L3 part time evening college course in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock