Discuss C1 C2 C3 FI codes Help QUIZ exam in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a small problem assigning the correct codes for some visual faults. I am still confused and looking forward to find a good answer.
This is for examination only. It is to be 17'th edition compliant(not 18th).

So we have the following faults and observations requiring a fault code:

1: 13A Socket outlet >ring circuit>Reversed polarity between L and N at the socket.
2: same ring circuit>incorrect electrical connection at the spur(one leg connected into IN terminals and one leg into OUT terminal)instead of both into IN terminal (open ring). the spur is switched and fused.
3: 16A C socket> L2 and L3 reversed polarity at the socket terminals.
4: 16A C socket>unsatisfactory electrical connection>swa armour used as CPC>Armour loose into gland.
5: bonding to gas and water using a single cable connected with plastic covered clamps with no (safety connection-do not remove) notice.
6: undersized earthing conductor(10mm) from distributor to main earth bar for 25mm incoming tails. (it should be 16)
7: incoming tails(3 phase) entering the board(metallic enclosure) through a hole approx 35mm . double insulated tails. no support ,no gland, loose, no mechanical protection around the hole(sharp edge) straight into main isolator.
8: 3 phase incoming tails double sheated with grey (outer sheat) for all tails and inner sheat with blue for neutral and brown for all phases. no colour indentification, no number or label for idenification of each phase.
9: boiler cable protected by a 20A B type mcb and terminated into OUT connectors of the switched spur and the flexi cable into IN connectors.(the board schedule shows 16A breaker). 1.5mm, 1mmCPC twin and earth cable.
10: reversed polarity on a luminaire.
11: as per point 9, a departure from the installation circuit schedule when the actual MCB is different than the one stated in the board Schedule.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George

Welcome to the forum mate.
Have you done a search on here for this info? There was a thread where someone posted a PDF that gave recommendations to codes to faults.

Hello guys, I have a small problem assigning the correct codes for some visual faults. I am still confused and looking forward to find a good answer.

1: 13A Socket outlet >ring circuit>Reversed polarity between L and N at the socket.
2: same ring circuit>incorrect electrical connection at the spur(one leg connected into IN terminals and one leg into OUT terminal)instead of both into IN terminal (open ring). the spur is switched and fused.
4: 16A C socket>unsatisfactory electrical connection>swa armour used as CPC>Armour loose into gland.
5: bonding to gas and water using a single cable connected with plastic covered clamps with no (safety connection-do not remove) notice.
6: undersized earthing conductor(10mm) from distributor to main earth bar for 25mm incoming tails. (it should be 16)
7: incoming tails(3 phase) entering the board(metallic enclosure) through a hole approx 35mm . double insulated tails. no support ,no gland, loose, no mechanical protection around the hole(sharp edge) straight into main isolator.
8: 3 phase incoming tails double sheated with grey (outer sheat) for all tails and inner sheat with blue for neutral and brown for all phases. no colour indentification, no number or label for idenification of each phase.
9: boiler cable protected by a 20A B type mcb and terminated into OUT connectors of the switched spur and the flexi cable into IN connectors.(the board schedule shows 16A breaker). 1.5mm, 1mmCPC twin and earth cable.
11: as per point 9, a departure from the installation circuit schedule when the actual MCB is different than the one stated in the board Schedule.

George
How about you post up your thoughts first?
I see a mixture of C2 and C3 codes

What's the supply earthing system for 6?

George

Just my opinion. with reasons.
1. C2 - (It removes the overcurrent protection and is easily remedied so would ensure I changed it before leaving)
2. C2 - (Turning off the fcu would mean breaking the ring losing end to end continuity - Have actually seen this recently)
3. C2 - (Could be C3 - Depends what is plugged into this socket but could be potentially dangerous if a motor goes the wrong way round)
4. C2 - (Would result in high Zs which would compromise the ocpd)
5. C3 (Nothing wrong with single cable for both, guessing the plastic covered clamp still provides a good electrical connection to the pipe, would guess its one of those lightning clamps so C3 for no safety notice)
6. C2 (Thats what it says in NAPIT code breakers but would depend on the fuse size, but guessing it could potentially be 100A, although you could probably use the adiabatic equation and it would be ok but would go with NAPIT code breakers, would be fine if tails were 16mm so think that is the giveaway to what they want as the correct answer Note it says from distributor so can presume its a TN earthing system)
7. C2 (Could be C3 but given the number of things wrong and the fact they say it goes straight into the breaker it could be pulled out so I think C2 is the answer they are looking for)
8. No code (It is at least best practice to label phases but not sure if its actually required C3 at worst)
9. What is the reference method of the cable? presuming not in free air then C2 as cable carrying capacity does not match with OCPD.
10. C3 (Would likely be cables incorrectly identified by colour aka live on the blue, neutral on the brown)
11. C3 (circuits not correctly identified)

Just my opinion. with reasons.
1. C2 - (It removes the overcurrent protection and is easily remedied so would ensure I changed it before leaving)
2. C2 - (Turning off the fcu would mean breaking the ring losing end to end continuity - Have actually seen this recently)
3. C2 - (Could be C3 - Depends what is plugged into this socket but could be potentially dangerous if a motor goes the wrong way round)
4. C2 - (Would result in high Zs which would compromise the ocpd)
5. C3 (Nothing wrong with single cable for both, guessing the plastic covered clamp still provides a good electrical connection to the pipe, would guess its one of those lightning clamps so C3 for no safety notice)
6. C2 (Thats what it says in NAPIT code breakers but would depend on the fuse size, but guessing it could potentially be 100A, although you could probably use the adiabatic equation and it would be ok but would go with NAPIT code breakers, would be fine if tails were 16mm so think that is the giveaway to what they want as the correct answer Note it says from distributor so can presume its a TN earthing system)
7. C2 (Could be C3 but given the number of things wrong and the fact they say it goes straight into the breaker it could be pulled out so I think C2 is the answer they are looking for)
8. No code (It is at least best practice to label phases but not sure if its actually required C3 at worst)
9. What is the reference method of the cable? presuming not in free air then C2 as cable carrying capacity does not match with OCPD.
10. C3 (Would likely be cables incorrectly identified by colour aka live on the blue, neutral on the brown)
11. C3 (circuits not correctly identified)

Worth noting that the OP hasn't been on here for nearly 4 years.

Reply to C1 C2 C3 FI codes Help QUIZ exam in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock