Discuss C3 on EICR.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest123

Evening all.

I have a thought that I'd like to discuss.

Using the current PIR certs, the absence of brown indicator sleeving on the blue S/W of a twin & earth cable used as a switch cable for a light for example, currently warrants a code 4 as it doesn't comply with BS 7671.

Code 4's, are seen to be completely trivial by most and will probably never have remedial work actioned on them if we're honest.
Now.....(confesses to not having read the ESC guide fully:hippy:)......Could we really say that 'improvement' was 'reccomended' under the new EICR codes, or would we just be seen to be making work out of nothing and accused of 'robbing' the customer???

Thoughts please.

It does seem a bit heavy handed, I always give a summary of my interpretation of the codes and faults found along with realistic actions that should be taken.

To be honest, we were never suposed to make observations about non-compliances, unless they "may give rise to danger".
This is one of the reasons the codes have been changed.

I do commercial PIRs n put down the "normal PIR" stuff as well as a supp sheet with Health n safety recomendations Emergency lighting at dbs Rubber matts at Dbs Unlocked Db Cupboards ect ect Not somuch a nonCompliance but still requires noted more for me covering bum than anything else

C3s I would say would generally not need the requires improvement. Though as Spinlondon says non compliances that are not "giving rise to danger" do not need to be noted; if they do give rise to danger then I would have though they would move up to C2 (and may well require improvement) the problem is that if it is for insurance then they tend to say that anything that "requires improvement" must be done and in many cases whilst we might think it would be a good idea to do it will not be dangerous if not done, so I would tend to avoid requires improvement unless it is dangerous (whether now or in the case of a likely fault).

Last edited:

Reply to C3 on EICR.... in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net