Discuss Cabinet lights from ring or light circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Adams

-
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a dilemma about wiring my cabinet led lights.

I can do it from ring via switched fcu on 3amp (this option may be risky if some bright spark tries to put bigger fuse)

or wiring from main light switch via fcu 3amp (this option adds extra cable in already crowded box)

I have a reel of 0.75mm cable so want to use it really.
The circuit will be only switchable from fcu.

I will be happy for any suggestions and which option would you use? Cheers

I prefer to have all my switching together, but it sounds like you do not want to consolidate your light switching together in the one switch position?

Two quick answers
I can do it from ring via switched fcu on 3amp (this option may be risky if some bright spark tries to put bigger fuse)
This should not be a problem. Surely you'd be in charge of what is happening in your own kitchen!
wiring from main light switch via fcu 3amp (this option adds extra cable in already crowded box)
Are you sure this is an option? do you have a neutral available in the switch box?? its not very common in the UK. Post a photo of the wiring.
And why would you need an FCU? the lighting circuit will have 6A MCB protecting it and they will trip a long time before a 3amp fuse can blow..

Personally I would chose your first option as you may not have a N at the light switch position, my advice would be to get an Electrician in to do this work, as you have little or no electrical knowledge or experience, not your fault in any way, I have seen Kitchen fitter bollox this work up, do me and yourself a favour, pay a Spark to do this for you, you wont regret it.

Why do you want to hardwire the cabinet? Can the cabinet be moved?Why don't you use plug with a 3A fuse?
What type of cable is the 0.75mm cable?

Thanks for replay,
There is N in the switch, I have few switched fcu so wanted to use it to isolate the circuit (saving buying new switch) but I see your point no need for fuse really.

The problem with light switch is that I will already operate 4 circuit from it (5x 1.5 twin &earth) then adding extra will make it 6x. I don't have a switch yet so just planning it on the paper.

I think the first option is most straight forward, also do you guys put warning/fire hazard sticker on or near fcu?

""""Why do you want to hardwire the cabinet? Can the cabinet be moved?"""""

Do you suggest I have one plug per cabinet? I don't see any reason for moving cabinets, anyway if there is ever any need then the cable can be undone from transformer and yes 0.75. it is a flex cable.

""""Why do you want to hardwire the cabinet? Can the cabinet be moved?"""""

Do you suggest I have one plug per cabinet? I don't see any reason for moving cabinets, anyway if there is ever any need then the cable can be undone from transformer and yes 0.75. it is a flex cable.
For goodness sake get someone in who knows what they are doing, before you injure someone. No it's a flexible cord.

if wiring from the lighting is tricky, then your 3A FCU from the ring might be the favorite option. you then have a switch for the cabinet lights independent of other lighting. if you are sure that you are competent to do this work, go ahead. if in doubt, call an electrician. ("I'm free". meaning available. not that i work for free. ;)).

I have a dilemma about wiring my cabinet led lights.

I don't see anywhere in your post what type of cabinet you have. All the mentions are all singular, one cabinet. I thought it might be a stand-alone display cabinet.

If you are going to hard wire it then more regs will come into play.

if wiring from the lighting is tricky, then your 3A FCU from the ring might be the favorite option. you then have a switch for the cabinet lights independent of other lighting. if you are sure that you are competent to do this work, go ahead. if in doubt, call an electrician. ("I'm free". meaning available. not that i work for free. ;)).

Ok, let me be more precise.
One side of the kitchen (left wall) there are 4 tall cabinets, from floor to ceiling. In two of them there will be LED lightning, it will be automatically switched after I open the door of the cabinet.

On the second wall (right side) there are 4x smaller cabinets (above them will be wooden counter top) in two corner cabinets will be LED and also one cabinet has draws where LED will also be installed.

The cabinets are permanent and will not go anywhere. The cabinets that hang on the wall will have no lighting in them.

I really appreciate your wisdom guys and Pete please relax, I know what I am doing, I don't want to brag about my background but let's say I do understand how electricity works.

The work will be signed off by electrician, and yes the kitchen is under renovation walls and ceilings are down :)

Ok, let me be more precise.
One side of the kitchen (left wall) there are 4 tall cabinets, from floor to ceiling. In two of them there will be LED lightning, it will be automatically switched after I open the door of the cabinet.

On the second wall (right side) there are 4x smaller cabinets (above them will be wooden counter top) in two corner cabinets will be LED and also one cabinet has draws where LED will also be installed.

The cabinets are permanent and will not go anywhere. The cabinets that hang on the wall will have no lighting in them.

I really appreciate your wisdom guys and Pete please relax, I know what I am doing, I don't want to brag about my background but let's say I do understand how electricity works.

The work will be signed off by electrician, and yes the kitchen is under renovation walls and ceilings are down :)
Carry on then Adams, hope the Electrician is OK to sign as a third party. gone.

Why hasn't the electrician, who will be signing off your work, told you the best option on how to do this?

Electrician will have access to every switch/socket every cable and will be easily able to carry out tests. The same electrician will also chance my CU.

Reply to Cabinet lights from ring or light circuit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock