Discuss Cable buried in a flower bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for the comments guys, it's a great help.

The customer doesn't want the cable clipped to the fence unfortunately. She is quite particular about minimising visible cables. I'll not know until I start digging, but looking at it, I'm not at all confident I'll be able to get deep enough to avoid contact from spades when digging.

On a similar job I was able to run the cable in conduit, then bed a course of bricks of bricks on top. It worked well because there was brickwork immediately below the conduit too (it was a brick built raised bed), so was totally solid. I'm not sure that would work as well in this instance, as much of the run will probably be soil beneath. Perhaps that doesn't matter though.
I think any additional mechanical protection you add will help, ideally something that won't easily dislodge if struck by a spade.

Thanks again all, this gives me a few ideas to work with.

I attacked a piece of rigid plastic conduit with a spade to see how it fared. It did better than I expected, and took a few good whacks before I was able to break into it.

I suppose a lot will depend on the quality of the conduit and the outside temperature. I agree though, some plastic tubing is remarkably tough.

PVC conduit is pretty tough , you really have to give it a good whack with a hammer to crack it

many many years ago we got some pvc conduit from a wholesalers and it was described as unbreakable , naturally i put this to the test and yep even after about 15-20 whacks with a club hammer it wouldn't crack. think it was clipsal brand

Armoured burried in soil is good enough, plastic over the top is even better, its dogs dangles if you have black and yellow marker tape to top off. after that tell them you need digger.

I suppose a lot will depend on the quality of the conduit and the outside temperature. I agree though, some plastic tubing is remarkably tough.

Was going to suggest putting the job off for a year to allow for testing in a range of weather conditions and temperatures.

Disappointed to see you'd already gone there 😄

Reply to Cable buried in a flower bed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net