Discuss Cable Clips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Everytime i try to bang cable clips into brick, plaster, stone e.t.c I always find the nail part just bends and they drop out. Can you get them with masonry nails in, or is it just my dodgy hammer action that is the problem ???

You allowed to use these, instead, over there? Provide your own masonry nail or screw w/rawl plug.

Cable Clips {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Cable clips are great things. You hammer them in and they stay in, sometimes! At the end of the day it depends on a lot of things, quality of brickwork, plaster, render and if you try to hammer them into engineering brickwork wear goggles cos they fly back with a vengance!

You could use P clips, similar to the pic mdshunk posted, but they are not that good with flat cables. Unfortunately there are many times when an alternative form of cable installation method has to be used.

Clips are the bane of my life. Mortar too soft and they just fall out. Too hard and one smack and it rebounds and takes your eye out. Sometimes it is easier to use a lrger clip. Example - I use 6mm clips on 2.5 twin sometimes as the nail is bigger and seems to take to the mortar slightly better.

you can put long masonry nails in or i have drilled and plugged take out the nail and used
dry wall screws they go through the clip no probs

you can put long masonry nails in or i have drilled and plugged take out the nail and used
dry wall screws they go through the clip no probs

Occasionaly have had to drill fixings for T&E but don't bother with a screw, a 5mm (yellow) plug makes an excellent landing for a light gauge clout nail. Sometimes I've had to use it on capping with old crumbly or insecure brickwork, The bigger sizes (6-10mm) can often hold well enough in a plug with their original nail.

As TT says though sometimes it just looks/is crap and I can't live with it so MT rears its (slightly less) ugly head. If the wall is uneven then it seems to accentuate the crapness of MT and have sometimes had to fix battens and then fix to that in order to disguise the wobble of walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need some of these for 4/6mm externally run protective earth.
What should I ask for and where can I get them in the UK? I've seen similar clips in Screwfix for SWA but they are too large for my use.

Reply to Cable Clips in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock