Discuss Cable Entry Reg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Think I'm going loopy and can't for the life of me find a regulation regarding suitable cable entry to accessories which deems whether nylon glands etc are required.

I've noticed a NAPIT EICR references 522.8.5 but after reading the regulation I'm not sure whether it's actually relevant or not if there isn't any "mechanical strain" involved.

Thoughts?

PVC/PVC. Came across an installation with sockets loose on a suspended ceiling with no nylon glands which in turn has allowed the cables to come back through the knockout hole on the backbox.

HATE HARD PLASTIC BACKBOXES FOR THOSE STUPID KNOCKOUTS AND THE FACT THAT THEY SMASH TO SMITHEREENS IF YOU DROP THEM FROM ANKLE HEIGHT!!!

Edit: Didn't mean to type in capitals there!

I'd already been through most of those, just looked at the others and im not sure any of them are applicable to my question

There's no mechanical strain on the cables, just poorly made off which they might have gotten away with if stuffers were used and tightened to keep the excess cable hidden away

I might not be making myself clear enough, apologies if I'm not.

I'm basically trying to say, if the cables are pushed back through the hole, and the hole is suitable sized (as they are when they're the knockout type on hard plastic backboxes), is there a regulation saying nylon glands are required or cables should be clipped at point of entry to an accessory to prevent them being pulled back out?

I'm basically trying to say, if the cables are pushed back through the hole, and the hole is suitable sized (as they are when they're the knockout type on hard plastic backboxes), is there a regulation saying nylon glands are required or cables should be clipped at point of entry to an accessory to prevent them being pulled back out?
they should be clipeed or otherwise restrained, and the boxes should be secured, not just lying loose on a suspended ceiling.

try the one that mentions good workmanship.

Strain relief and IP rating of the accessory spring to mind.

134.1.1 - good shout! that's the closest I can attribute so far in my opinion but is that regulation not completely subjective?

If you referenced 134.1.1, would you not have to follow it up, in an argument say, with another regulation to make your point valid?

Strain relief and IP rating of the accessory spring to mind.
The cables are going through the knockouts on the box as they've been designed so I'm not sure if IP is applicable? That's why I thought you could make a case of saying those knockouts are acceptable to use but only if the cables are clipped at entry to prevent them from being pulled out

I'm starting to think the initial regulation I mentioned in my original post might be the best/correct regulation for this.

Still not sure though as the cables aren't under any stress when they're sat in a position and aren't hanging or being pulled etc.

They've basically made a trailing lead which in and of itself is OK, I've done the same above shop ceilings as they keep moving stuff around to "refresh the retail ecperience".

I do however use a malleable boxes and glands.

The obvious reason is strain relief but also IP and exposed unsheathed cables not enclosed.

In appendix 6 - model forms, Examples of items requiring inspection for an EICR, Final circuits. On P479 you've got:
Termination of cables at enclosures - identify/record numbers and locations of items inspected (Section 526)

1 Connections under no undue strain (526.6)
4 Adequately connected at point of entry to enclosure (glands, bushes etc.) (522.8.5)

I look at it this way: in normal use, can either the accessory, or the cable to it be moved? If yes to either, then it needs strain relief. In this case, both can be moved by the end user, so needs strain relief. Whereas, for example, T+E running in a stud wall into the back of a drylining box to a socket. Neither cable nor accessory can be moved, so no strain relief needed.

Reply to Cable Entry Reg in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net