Discuss cable entry to PIR lantern in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello there

just a simple one

have a customer wants a lantern fitted to existing wiring to replace old light, does not want any redecoration. old light is fed from wire running down from soffit surface mounted. Now lanterns are designed for a rear cable entry through the wall. just wondered how people go about solving this little dilema.
( my current solution)
i usually run the cable to a morter joint in the brick near the mounting point of the light and channel out the mortar and then feed the cable into the light from the rear enabling the lantern fitting to fit flush to the wall.Making sure that the cable grommit has a water tight seal. any better ideas would be welcome

many thanks

Last edited:
just the way i do it. these lanterns are a pain when the cable is surface. the only other way is to cut a bit of metal out of the lantern base.

thanks telectix didnt think there were any other ways apart from what you suggested, just have to be careful re water/gravity with it beeing surface entry so a good water tight grommit is required.

but then you would also have to seal all round it as walls are not even. i prefer to ensure that there is drainage.

sealing arround the fitting would not look to good IMHO so my approach is to ensure the cable enters the grommit at the light fitting from below within the mortar channel, kind of forming a mini drip loop within the channel. As you suggest any water build up can then drain away through the channel and not build up or enter the fitting.

yes, but what i am saying is that no matter how well you seal your cable entry, water will still get in between the fitting and the wall. i just make sure that the connection block is as far away from the area where water will get in as possible.

yes fair point, i was mainly refering to the the cable, specifically due to entering the fitting from above and water dripping down the cable, but as you point out water may get between the wall and the back plate of the fitting so a good seal ( provided by the back plate grommit and the cable connections beeing located away from this point should remove any nasty problems.

I have just made up some PVC discs with a channel in for just this problem.
The light is not designed to be sealed at the back when mounted on the wall (it just has the usual grommet entry), so I am going to mount the light on the disc with the feed cable running in the channel,.
I am also going on to another light so the cable will go in an out top and bottom, I will then seal the upper cable to prevent water running directly down the channel from the cable but leave the base free for drainage.

Reply to cable entry to PIR lantern in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net