Discuss Cable Glands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Clive

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Iv'e got some 1.5mm twin cable, there is no earth wire with it and the outside diameter of the cable sheath is 7mm.
I need to run it through some 6mm thick steel and have been lookling at the glands in image. Namely the IP68-PG9 but looking at measurement D, by the time the locking nut is screwed on there wont be enough thread width left to accommodate 6mm steel thickness.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can use??

My thanks to anyone who can help

Clive
Gland.jpg

For what purpose does it need to go through the steel and is it structural? I would use a long male brass bush and lock nut/ring if you don't need the ip rating. And if you do then a long male brass bush, coupler and stuffing gland, I would probably cut the coupler down to make it look neater if on display!

Pg threads are often shorter than the equivalent metric.

Why not use m16, if the panel is 6mm thick, drill and tap it m16 and a lock nut is not required anyway.

P.s. to make things easy, buy a couple of drill taps, they drill and tap plate like that in one go.

The 'Panzer' in Panzergewinde is referring to Stahlpanzerrohr = steel-armour-pipe = conduit, rather than tanks. PG threads were specifically designed for thin-wall tube fittings being fairly fine, shallow and easy to tap, so one could do worse when threading a bulkhead than to use a PG thread. However, in the name of harmonisation the German standard has moved over to metric fine, and PG is obsolete for conduit work although it lives on in cable glands.

Threads aside, there's also the option of a flange-mount gland of this sort:
Flange-mount bulkhead gland

Those flange mount bulkhead glands are brilliant. Used a fair few on boats, and they come in various configurations. Particularly useful are the ones where there is a separate insert which lifts off with the top ring, leaving a wider hole so you don't need to detach the aerial plug or whatever is on the end of the cable, and some come with a cap to cover the hole when not in use.

Hi Guys

Thank you for your replies, the information I need is for myself its not for a job, have a look at the attach picture it will show you why I need some sort of gland.
You will see the cable is going through 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle iron and there is no way I can leave the cable going through a hole in the angle iron as show.

Above the wooden table is a load of woodwork machines and once they are running it certainly would not take long for the insulation on the cable to chaff through. with the vibration.

Attachments

• Cable 1.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Cable 2.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010027.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 59
May it is i who misunderstood...
however, the cables could be looped past the steel, perhaps...not as neat, but easier and not too tricky to protect

i'd use a 2omm brass bush and nut. you can get bushes with the longer thread, about 5/8".

A long Bush and a lock ut is all you need there.

What type of cable is that? I can't think of a cable that is normally white and is well suited to a workshop enviroment?

Reply to Cable Glands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net