Discuss Cable identification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Web84

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I need to re run a supply cable to a flat.

There was a fire and it damaged the main incomer to a flat, as the cable runs through the building power networks want us to run the cable and the will reconnect at the rifle board and head.

My question is what is this type cable? I need to know to order and have never had need to run this type used for incoming supplies before

Attachments

• Cable identification 20200530_093611 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200530_093611.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 37
you coulduse similar (concentric cable) depends on the earthing arrangement whether or not yo need a separate earth from the neutral. or you could use 3 core SWA.

you coulduse similar (concentric cable) depends on the earthing arrangement whether or not yo need a separate earth from the neutral. or you could use 3 core SWA.
It's a PMEsystem

to be honest I have a wholesaler account with national cable distributor (that often supply networks) getting cable is easy I just have to know what to ask for.

Wasn't able to get to the insulation to see the markings and code numbers. Disturbing the areas at this stage to access exsisting supply isnt an option at the moment

Job is a s**t storm of incompetence that's why its been palmed off to use to supply cable.

If meter is in Flat then down to them surely to install or supply as part of the DNO Network
If it was that easy it would have been done.

Networks are a law to themselves

If they want the cable routed through building is it really worth fighting with them for a claim that has already been in limbo for 14months?

As it appears you are being asked to wire in part of the DNO network (the "concentric cable") it seems odd, but if it is the only way to get it done then so be it!

But the DNO will have a very restricted range of approved cables, so it would be worth checking out who/what they are willing to work with. Here is the first result of a quick search:

Their "get out" is that they are doing the connection at each end. The are claiming they cannot disturb the building getting the cable between the rifle board and the consumer end and this will need to be carried out by "your own contractor"

Part of the argument is that if it were a new installation it would form part of a submain and therefore nothing to do with them and they "don't do this "anymore".

Just on a side note I'm of the opinion now that I dont get paid to argue with them and debate who should do what (I've done enough of that), we will do exactly what they have asked and keep documented emails etc so the job can continue

Probably the last bit of info you need to know is the cable size, typically it will be 16mm or maybe 25mm cross sectional are. If they can tell you that you should be able to order it from anyone who deals with DNO, etc.

It sounds like one of those situations where by default there is no BNO but there ought to be one, and the DNO got lumbered. Agree, best to get a spec from the DNO, although there aren't many options to choose from amongst BS7870 cables that are UKPN approved. The centre core can be copper or ali, but for normal terminations copper is standard, so other than the CSA about the only thing that you might want to determine is whether the sheath ineeds to be LSZH.

BTW: Ryefield, not rifle.

Probably the last bit of info you need to know is the cable size, typically it will be 16mm or maybe 25mm cross sectional are. If they can tell you that you should be able to order it from anyone who deals with DNO, etc.
It looks like 16 to me to be honest I was half contemplating running both! The incoming rifle board is within a dwelling (the converted communal area into a flat without without taking into account access to supply!) We don't have access to dwelling untill works start (and current tenant has been found alternative accommodation while works are commencing)

Reply to Cable identification in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock