Discuss Cable in Plastic trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am due to start a house rewiring job in the new year, due to the customer having the house fully decorated it needs to be done using plastic trunking.

They have had a couple of other quotes that have said that the trunking must be run from the ceiling in a straight line to the socket (which would be a metre or two from the corner of the wall)

I was planning on running the trunking in the corner and then along the top of the skirting to the socket, I cant find anything in the regs or on-site guide to say I can't do this.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Mark.

Use MT2 (25x16) and do vertical drops like the others have quoted. There is nothing in the regs against your suggestion but it is more effort really. Got to say though, poor planning on customers part getting it all decorated and then going for a rewire.

Leesparkykent,

That is what I said, but BOTH sparkies are insisting that it is not allowed. I have not spoken to them but I have done many jobs for the customer and I trust what they have told me I have also seen the quotes. I really don't understand why they would talk themselves out of a job, especially as they were cheaper than me.

Use MT2 (25x16) and do vertical drops like the others have quoted. There is nothing in the regs against your suggestion but it is more effort really. Got to say though, poor planning on customers part getting it all decorated and then going for a rewire.
Absolutely agree with the comment regarding poor planning. Putting that aside, if you just offer what others are doing without really considering the clients aesthetics after completion then your hardly showing yourself to be a step ahead of the competition. Meet the clients needs and they will pay for the additional effort involved and more importantly you have a higher chance of referrals.
My thoughts anyway
Martin

It would look 100x better if chased in to the wall.
Absolutely, but by the looks of it the doughnut customer has already decorated. I went to quote a rewire on a 7bed house A few weeks ago that the customer had kicked the original electrician off the job. It was obvious what he had done was a complete shambles from just a visual inspection. Any way to cut a long story short the customer had the whole house carpeted inbetween kicking the original electrician off the job and getting me round to quote. I told the customer the new carpets would need lifting etc and she looked at me like I just took a crap in her kettle! Lol and said she didn't want that. I couldn't be arsed with all the hassle in the end so didnt even bother getting involved with the job.

If anyone had the cheek to run a plastic trunking straight down the middle of my wall I'd tell them to rip it out and do the job properly....

...in galv.

Leesparkykent,

That is what I said, but BOTH sparkies are insisting that it is not allowed. I have not spoken to them but I have done many jobs for the customer and I trust what they have told me I have also seen the quotes. I really don't understand why they would talk themselves out of a job, especially as they were cheaper than me.

Back to your question, short answer is the two other {*cough*} sparkles are talking cobblers. Trunking can be run pretty much anywhere. The cable isn't hidden. It's in trunking.

I was was going to say you should know that if you're rewiring a house but I won't.....

And the second part of your question, "can any one see problems" - well that's been answered by others, summarised as

"trunking looks rubbish"

hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am due to start a house rewiring job in the new year, due to the customer having the house fully decorated it needs to be done using plastic trunking.

They have had a couple of other quotes that have said that the trunking must be run from the ceiling in a straight line to the socket (which would be a metre or two from the corner of the wall)

I was planning on running the trunking in the corner and then along the top of the skirting to the socket, I cant find anything in the regs or on-site guide to say I can't do this.

Can anyone see any problems with this?

Mark.

Why not check your OSG and BGB and see what it see says about routing cables?

if it has to be in ntrunking, i'd run as you say, down the corner and along skirting but instead of plastic trunking, use some decorative coving about 2" for the drops. then they can paint to blend in.

Remember also that if you can guarantee 100% encasement throughout then you can also wire it in singles.

What a cringeworthy job though, the only times I use trunking is on Local Authority jobs where it is specified, and in cupboards, cellars etc. where nobody cares what it looks like.

Leesparkykent,

Mark. Have a little think about the reason why buried cables are run in zones with rcd protection. Then have a little think about what you are going to to. With your new reasoning, combined with the fact that the 2 'sparkies' may well be inexperienced you should now understand why you cannot find anything in the bgb to to stop you.

How about getting the customer to contact these clowns and ask which regulation your plan would contravene. A quid says they'll not find one

i'll raise you quid and bet a tenner. :ack2:

Reply to Cable in Plastic trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net