Discuss Cable in proximity to gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

s6stu

-
Reaction score
A plumber on the last job that I was on complained that cables had been passed through the floor less than 30mm away from a gas pipe and that this was against regs, as an arc could cause a fire if there was a gas leak. I had not heard of this reg before, and also thought that if the cable and gas pipe were to have faults, 30mm would not make any difference to the potential risk of fire. Can anyone enlighten me perhaps?

not heard this one either, he could be thinking about min distance between lv and mains cables?? end at day so long as its not strapped to the side of the pipe i dont think it matters. more trades trying to tell you your job does my head in!! dont mind another spark saying stuff but plumbers just got on my boobies!

Plumbers are almost as thick as painters and as for knowing regs - don't get me started. I regularly run cables along gas pipes if I have to.

A plumber on the last job that I was on complained that cables had been passed through the floor less than 30mm away from a gas pipe and that this was against regs, as an arc could cause a fire if there was a gas leak. I had not heard of this reg before, and also thought that if the cable and gas pipe were to have faults, 30mm would not make any difference to the potential risk of fire. Can anyone enlighten me perhaps?

What a crock of ****. How many gas meters are located in cupboards under the stairs next to the main fuse/ consumer unit? There is far more potential for a gas explosion/fire to be caused by arcing in this situation than by having a cable located within 30mm of a gas pipe, by the arcing in a main switch or breaker.

What a crock of ****. How many gas meters are located in cupboards under the stairs next to the main fuse/ consumer unit? There is far more potential for a gas explosion/fire to be caused by arcing in this situation than by having a cable located within 30mm of a gas pipe, by the arcing in a main switch or breaker.

id just "flash" a neutral in con unit and pmsl as he legs it;) gas wont hurt you load of fuss about nowt ,:eek:

id just "flash" a neutral in con unit and pmsl as he legs it;) gas wont hurt you load of fuss about nowt ,:eek:

Exactly. If you expanded this plumber,s theory to the nth degree, then you may as well refuse to install any electrics whatsoever in a property that has a gas supply on the basis that the arcing of switchgear etc may cause a fire.On the other hand maybe his gas fitting is so ---- , he covers himself by making up wiring regs!!!

the only reg that i can think of is when drilling through joists and the minimum distances between holes is twice the diameter of the largest hole is the gap between two holes, but nothing else springs to mind.
so how are you going to bond his gas pipe if you have to keep 30mm away from it at all times. plumbers :rolleyes::rolleyes: well back in the line for brains when they were issued, not last though cos that position belongs to boarders.

Thanks for all the replies, he had me worried for a moment, apparently he's known for picking holes and telling people how to do their job.

Good to see a healthy hatred of plumbers - the bane of an electricians life!

Thanks for all the replies, he had me worried for a moment, apparently he's known for picking holes and telling people how to do their job.

Good to see a healthy hatred of plumbers - the bane of an electricians life!

Please don't take my name in vain.

BS 6891:2005 requires that electrical equipment be seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 150mm and electrical cables by seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 25mm.

Looks like the plumber knows more than you this time round.

By the way forgot to say the seperation distance does not apply to protective bonding cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
BS 6891:2005 requires that electrical equipment be seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 150mm and electrical cables by seperated from gas pipes by a minimum of 25mm.

Looks like the plumber knows more than you this time round.

By the way forgot to say the seperation distance does not apply to protective bonding cables.

MMM very interesting. Can I ask what BS 6891:2005 refers to?

Reply to Cable in proximity to gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock