Discuss Cable in proximity to gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ahh please spill the beans. still waiting for my on site guide:)

gas installation pipes must be spaced:
a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, dis boards or con units
b) AT LEAST 25mm from electricity cables

seperation of at least 25mm to be provided for domestic pipework up to 35mm. for pipework over 35mm then 50mm seperation is required. the seperation distance can be reduced if the gas pipe is pvc wrapped or a pane of insulating material is interposed

a) at least 150 mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, dis boards or con units

seperation of at least 25mm to be provided for domestic pipework up to 35mm. for pipework over 35mm then 50mm seperation is required. the seperation distance can be reduced if the gas pipe is pvc wrapped or a pane of insulating material is interposed

Oh well looks like every property in the country is going to need remedial work carried out to rectify this then.
For crying out loud do they never get fed up with inventing rules and regs.

yes but we as sparks (even though I aint a proper one:p) must stand our ground as well.

I am in the middle of a rewire, and it is having gas fitted from outside(should have been Monday, but the gasman could not park directly outside the house, and so refused to do the job!!!!!).

Anyway the gas is coming in through the wall into the front room, so it works both ways, I can insist he keeps HIS pipes away from MY cables, which are already laid! First come first served and all that

And why do i think that the gas fitter will claim he has precedence and insist that i move my cables:rolleyes: Can feel a scrap coming on..........:)

yeah there a night mare arnt they! defo agree with the 1st come 1st served thang, i hate doing a new build after a plumbers been in, spesh with these new joists with knock outs in they take up all the room.

can be reversal on this tho as well, if you get in first they may pipe up to close to your cables and not tell you, then it comes to drilling 30 downlights in a kitchen and theres pipes all over!!

but you are only talking about an inch of separation and less if it is pvc wrapped, most plumbers i work with buy the pvc stuff as i think it has to be identified in houses as a gas pipe, if you cant keep more than an inch away from a pipe then something is wrong.

A plumber on the last job that I was on complained that cables had been passed through the floor less than 30mm away from a gas pipe and that this was against regs, as an arc could cause a fire if there was a gas leak. I had not heard of this reg before, and also thought that if the cable and gas pipe were to have faults, 30mm would not make any difference to the potential risk of fire. Can anyone enlighten me perhaps?
Just got my copy of the new OSG today and page 18

Gas installation pipes must be spaced

a. at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, dbs or consumer units.

b. at least 25mm away from electricity cables.

i dont make the rules!!!!!

Mark

Just got my copy of the new OSG today and page 18

Gas installation pipes must be spaced

a. at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, dbs or consumer units.

b. at least 25mm away from electricity cables.

i dont make the rules!!!!!

Mark

we do gas assessments, so i showed it to one my gas tutors/assessors

"oh yeah, thats been in for donkeys that has":eek:

So how many sparks here actually knew about this?

Whats the point of having rules that affect 2 trades and only telling one of them?

dont the 'powers that be talk to each other?'

(that was a rhetorical question by the way):eek:

Excerpt from 18th Wiring Regs (currently being produced apparently):

5.3.4 No electrical cable is to be situated within 150mm of a toilet installation.
5.3.4.1 All electrical cables used for toilet extractor fans must be double insulated.

Well, gas is explosive isn't it?

Excerpt from 18th Wiring Regs (currently being produced apparently):

5.3.4 No electrical cable is to be situated within 150mm of a toilet installation.
5.3.4.1 All electrical cables used for toilet extractor fans must be double insulated.

Well, gas is explosive isn't it?

:):) Hahaha.

Serious question. What about toilet installations that use a macerator.
$0dding cable goes right into the $h!t mashin pump. Can't get closer than that!!

Maybe they'll invent a new one with a hand operated masher/pump

Last edited:
osg says keep meters and control gear 150mm from gas pipe and cables at least 25mm may be this plumber bin on the one day course

i am afraid he is right,but also a lot of remarks made is right,it comes under the heading of PROXIMITY OF NON ELECTRICAL SERVICES,GAS AND WATER SERVICES HAVE TO BE KEPT AWAY FROM ELECTRICAL SERVICES/CABLES ETC, i think plumbers go on a 2 week course and they think they know everything, on a eicr form its only a code c3,or the old periodics a code 4,hope this helps

... i think plumbers go on a 2 week course and they think they know everything...
Say what you will, the majority of "real" sparks didn't have a clue about this; half a dozen sneered before the first one appeared that actually knew his stuff. Even more embarrassing, it wasn't until 20 posts into the thread that finally someone came up with the easy solution: pvc protection of the copper.
Even worse, it is not until page 4 of the thread before somebody appears who actually knows that cables can not be run less than 25 mm from ANY metal pipe.
Meter tails, by the way, are not allowed within 150 mm of ANY metal pipe either; gas, water, or radiator pipes.

Say what you will, the majority of "real" sparks didn't have a clue about this; half a dozen sneered before the first one appeared that actually knew his stuff. Even more embarrassing, it wasn't until 20 posts into the thread that finally someone came up with the easy solution: pvc protection of the copper.
Even worse, it is not until page 4 of the thread before somebody appears who actually knows that cables can not be run less than 25 mm from ANY metal pipe.
Meter tails, by the way, are not allowed within 150 mm of ANY metal pipe either; gas, water, or radiator pipes.

Already knew about the gas pipe seperation (do alot of work for a local heating company), but if we need this seperation from any pipe then how on earth are we supposed to wire into a boiler? So many jobs I go on where there is a real nest of cables and pipes just under the floor boards in boiler cupboards it would mean major work on each job to sort it out.

Clearly, the majority of people do not care too much about sticking to the regs, as can be ascertained in most homes I work in. Faulty colour coding and substandard bonding are the rule rather than the exception, and the same goes for cables near pipes.
For the latter, the solution for those who do care to do the job to spec is ever so simple. Pvc insulation on the pipe where it is not practicable to stay more than 25 mm away.

What did you spend your 35 years doing? Because of the way you berate all electricians it certainly hasn’t in industry of any kind.
Just for information, I’ve worked on plants that consumed 21M Ft³ per day. Gas at a delivery pressure of 100PSI is even more unforgiving! Do your boilers use intrinsic circuits? Do you have to constantly monitor and regulate gas flow? Are the emissions constantly monitored?

Oh well looks like every property in the country is going to need remedial work carried out to rectify this then.
For crying out loud do they never get fed up with inventing rules and regs.

I seem to remember coming across this rule / reg in 2002 & it wasn't new then.

Reply to Cable in proximity to gas pipe in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock