Discuss Cable Joining in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fixit4u

Hi every-one,

called to an house late last night who had just had the gas board there for a gas leak and the call-out guy,s had drilled through a wall and hit the ring-main supply and knocked out all the power,the cable was proper damaged and in a cup-board wall, i am asking if there is a pref for joining twin & earth together as i only had connector blocks with me 30-amp and joined up with this to re-store the power for the customer, the son who was there was a joiner and was going to box the area in, in the morning, the point is,is this fine as it is as can,t find anything saying connector blocks can,t be used or should i have used crimps etc instead which prob be neater job ?? :dizzy2:

Why didn't BG repair the cable after all it was them that damaged it?

Is the connection in a enclosure that complies with BS7671?, also will,it be accessible once it has been boxed in?

Hi every-one,

called to an house late last night who had just had the gas board there for a gas leak and the call-out guy,s had drilled through a wall and hit the ring-main supply and knocked out all the power,the cable was proper damaged and in a cup-board wall, i am asking if there is a pref for joining twin & earth together as i only had connector blocks with me 30-amp and joined up with this to re-store the power for the customer, the son who was there was a joiner and was going to box the area in, in the morning, the point is,is this fine as it is as can,t find anything saying connector blocks can,t be used or should i have used crimps etc instead which prob be neater job ?? :dizzy2:
any joint should be in a non combustible enclosure so terminal block is a no no. also if not accessible must be maitenance free.

what would have been the best way to have re-connected the ring back together then ? and it needs to be in a metal accessable enclosure ?

If the joint is accessible then you could just use a 30 amp jb if you use crimps or wagos or anything else then it needs to be in a box not necessarily metal,a plastic one will do.make sure you secure the jb or box to the wall.

the gas board told her to get someone in to repair it and they would send out an inspector thurs to have a look at the damage, thats why was wundering if the join would be o.k as it is ?

have never used the wagos connectors myself do you prefer them to crimping ? push fit or lever best ?

- - - Updated - - -

have never used the wagos connectors myself do you prefer them to crimping ? push fit or lever best ?

thank-you for the reply, they said no one was available in the area ? the damaged cable was inside a cupboard in a store room, outside wall.
cheers

Was it by chance you called at the house or had they phoned you to go and sort the electrical problem out, very curious on what the answer will be lol
Hi every-one,

Was it by chance you called at the house or had they phoned you to go and sort the electrical problem out, very curious on what the answer will be lol

i got a call from someone who they had phoned in the first instance, i didn,t know the whole story just a house lost power late a tnight so just wanted to try to get the power back on for the lady and as i have said had only 30amp terminal blocks on me the gap was quite wide where the cable must have wrapped around the drill bit and pulled it apart so couldn,t use jb no crimps so had to use those,

i got a call from someone who they had phoned in the first instance, i didn,t know the whole story just a house lost power late a tnight so just wanted to try to get the power back on for the lady and as i have said had only 30amp terminal blocks on me the gap was quite wide where the cable must have wrapped around the drill bit and pulled it apart so couldn,t use jb no crimps so had to use those,

How would terminal blocks be able to span a greater distance than a junction box?

It makes me wonder when I read posts like this.
•Has this person been to college.
•Why don't you keep a good selection of jb's, crimps, etc etc in your van if you are doing call outs.
•Not everyone has had experience with every type of cable but t+e!

Reply to Cable Joining in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net