Discuss Cable Junction Under Floor Without Box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

ej3108

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for more advice please. My electrician has spurred off a cable under flooring using what seem to be wago type connectors (push in, no screws). They are not enclosed in a box and the flooring is boarded and will be tiled over when refurbished. Is this acceptable by current regs or not? The floor is in a bathroom but not within any zone, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks

Hi,

Looking for more advice please. My electrician has spurred off a cable under flooring using what seem to be wago type connectors (push in, no screws). They are not enclosed in a box and the flooring is boarded and will be tiled over when refurbished. Is this acceptable by current regs or not? The floor is in a bathroom but not within any zone, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks
I would question the competency of anyone who would do such a thing.
Have you a picture?

Last edited:
Very shoddy. As above, send a photo. The connections need an enclosure to keep them safe and to provide support for the cables.

Last edited:
Regardless of the location or type of terminals used, leaving them unenclosed has not been correct practice at any time in the last 100 years. As mentioned above, the cables need mechanical support so that no tension can be put on the connectors, and the basic insulation on the individual cores needs to be enclosed to protect it from damage or being touched. Those requirements have always been there and can be achieved will most kinds of junction box. Today, in addition, if the junction is not accessible for maintenance after the floor is laid, the completed assembly must meet the 'Maintenance Free' requirements of BS5733 which help to ensure that it will last the lifetime of the installation.

If it’s wago connectors, it’s easy to add the wago box around it. Just clips around it.

If the cables and joint are laid out perfectly…. This job will take about 1.59 seconds to complete. ;)

If it’s wago connectors, it’s easy to add the wago box around it. Just clips around it.

If the cables and joint are laid out perfectly…. This job will take about 1.59 seconds to complete. ;)
Very wishful thinking , I bet its a right old rats nest of connectors that needs trimming back properly before you can get it all into a wago box

Plus a few seconds for the cable tie! Plus an extra 10 seconds when you realise you’ve had the cable tie upside down and they don’t work like that so you’ve got to take it back out and put it in again…

So in summary I should ask for this to be rectified? There is no kind of connector that acceptably joins the wires outside of any box? Makes me wonder what else has been done wrong tbh.

Whilst it may seem as if you're dictating to a qualified person, it's a pretty basic bit of shoddy work contravening BS 7671 Regulations and it needs rectification. You should also insist on a completion certificate, even if it is only a minor works one.

It's OK saying that it wont take much to put it right.......but it shouldn't need to be corrected. It could take a lot more time and money to sort out if it causes a problem in the future.

If he questions you're obtaining advice from others...... it was yourself who had the initial worries, so you're obviously not behind the door and had the common sense to doubt his work.

I really can't grasp why someone working as 'qualified' in our trade could be 'innocent' in the matter.
Mistakes are made in innocence not done intentionally. For a qualified electrician, this should not be regarded as a mistake.

Just be careful if the spark goes by the name 'littlespark'.........looking at his latest avatar :)

So in summary I should ask for this to be rectified? There is no kind of connector that acceptably joins the wires outside of any box? Makes me wonder what else has been done wrong tbh.
They could be crimped, but Mf junction box is easier.

Just be careful if the spark goes by the name 'littlespark'.........looking at his latest avatar :)
That’s my new toolbox sticker…..

Wholly inappropriate for this situation.

My comments about “an easy fix” was more to imply to the OP that it’s not going to be a massive upheaval to sort this.
Not defending the spark in any way, but it might be the case of, he’s ran out of wago boxes, and he’ll sort it next visit….next visit didn’t come quick enough

Do we know if job finished?, circuit energised?
Joiner laid boards before spark returned?

My comments about “an easy fix” was more to imply to the OP that it’s not going to be a massive upheaval to sort this.
Not defending the spark in any way, but it might be the case of, he’s ran out of wago boxes, and he’ll sort it next visit….next visit didn’t come quick enough

Yes the job is finished. The 'joiner' is me as it's a DIY project and I thought I was doing the sensible thing getting an electrician in for the electrics.

What's up?
It was such an obvious effin joke pal.

Oh, I see the job was complete, by the way.

What's up?
It was such an obvious effin joke pal.

Oh, I see the job was complete, by the way.
Crossed wires I think.

I knew it was a joke… my “inappropriate” remark was more what my sign says, rather than you bringing it up.

I really wish the smilie menu still worked… I sometimes forget to add them

Reply to Cable Junction Under Floor Without Box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock