Discuss cable markers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Toonlad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
whilst doing consumer unit change overs, does all the cores need cable markers on, now im talking on a domestic insatalation in particular.

I know when i do 3 phase dbs i mark them all up with cable markers. (commercial)

but the majority of cu i see dont seem to be core markered up, as the neutral and earth bars have numbers on them, so is this sufficient, or like i said put markers on.

The only time I see cable markers is in control panels. The only requirement, I believe, under the wiring regs is that cables are identified for polarity purposes i.e. brown/blue/green yellow.

Or, as I used to know it, red/yellow/blue/black/green yellow or was it red, white, blue and copper? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the reason i ask is that one of my mates was saying, the niceic assessor had pulled a job saying there was no circuit numbers on the cores.

So hence my question,but im sorting asking/seeking clarification on this, like you said only polarity seems to be mantioned, but no mention of the core identifcation for the circuit.

guess i will need to dig deeper, or phone niceic up and ask.

Never seen cable marking in domestic situation. Have on industrial especially at very large sites to give you a chance to find the bleedin mains board:)

The Amicus Guide says it is not required so long as cpcs and neutrals are in the correct number on the Earth and Neutral Bars for easy identification. If they weren't in the corresponding position for the circuit number then the cores would require identification.

just seen a niceic video and the cu didnt have any core markings on, so im guessing this inspector had a fad or got himself dicombobulated.

Thanks for your replys

Reply to cable markers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net