Discuss Cable-Mate Software in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yeh I use it quite often. Pretty amazing bit of software. Obviously one has to check just to make sure everything is good. But yes a useful tool for quickly getting a notional calculation for various things.

Hi. This is really interesting software. But I use the MeteorSPEC more often. This is a CAD plugin for calculating 0.4 kV networks + various useful built-in calculators for electricians. The MeteorSPEC has always been free.
MeteorSPEC is not a competitor to Cable-Mate but it is a good addition to Cable-Mate + CAD platform. Source URL: MeteorSpec LT - CAD software for analysis and designing low-voltage distribution networks - https://meteorspec.com

Old thread I know but for those who would still like cable-mate he still updates it and the download is available at Github. Version 7.2 is on there at the moment will put link below. To download software click on Cable-Mate72.zip, when page opens download arrow is on far right of page, It is compressed so will have to use winzip or winrar to unzip or some versions of windows will unzip it. Github not the easiest to navigate and download from hence the attempted explanation.

There is a brief readme on page as well.

I found out about it via cable-mate facebook page.

Off topic slightly but do people treat these things like the bible or just pay lip service to them, I can understand them in a commercial environment where things are critical but every time I've used an on-line cable calculator its way over specced things.

I remember a couple of years ago we were subbying for another spark converting a building into apartments, it was a long and thin building and reminded me of my school. The main contractor was supplying all the materials and me and the spark were just doing the work. they tried to get the spark to spec the cable etc but he said he was just the installer and not the designer and put it all back onto them, he pointed them in the direction of a cable calculator website.

A couple of days later the spec came back and they said the cable size for the furthest away apartments would have to be 120mm, he handed them the paper back and said "try again". As it was the ones furthest away ended up wired in 50mm which I still thought was ludicrous given they were mainly 1 bed apartments with 3 or 4 electric panel radiators in. Even the cleaners socket down the end of the hallway was wired in 6mm T&E, EM lights 2.5 3core&E.

As with all software, you have two issues:
  • Is the software correct?
  • Have you asked it the right question?
You should (hopefully) have some sense of scale to decide what sort of result you expect to get, if the software agrees then all is likely right. If not then you need to look carefully at both what you think is reasonable, and what the software is actually telling you. Which might not be what you though you asked it!

Not used this one (but might look later) but have found some on-line calculators are wrong and others are OK, subject to putting in the requirements in the way it expects.

Reply to Cable-Mate Software in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock