Discuss Cable out of the wall and back in in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Deleted member 112675

Could I run a low voltage cable that comes out of a stud wall and back in again 50mm later to get past a stud. I don't have access above that part of the wall.

It would be covered by a cabinet but of course if seen it would look very dodgy. I was thinking of labelling the cable at the very least. I could hide it in the wall but that might be worse ?

What do you mean by low voltage. Low voltage in the UK is between 50 and 1000v so I assume you mean below this.

Sorry 6v or 12v - I'd need to check exactly but something like that. It powers a button that is allowed in a shower.

Probably not something to worry about too much. If you can hide it in the wall it may be a better option.

If it's part of a shower's control system then I imagine it will be SELV or PELV compliant (Should say somewhere in manufacturers instructions hopefully), which would mean that there are no extra requirements in regards to safe zones or what depth it runs (though general good practice would suggest not putting it where liable to damage).

If it's behind a cabinet that is unlikely to be moved then you could notch the joist and leave it visible - or go a little deeper and fill it if you prefer it hidden.

Reply to Cable out of the wall and back in in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I am planning to install wall lights such as these ones (LAP Bronx Outdoor Up & Down Wall Light Black - Screwfix -...
Replies
Views
I would like to hide the cable to an EV charger. The consumer unit, meter cabinet and charger would all be on the same wall. About 5 metres from...
Replies
Views
Hi there - good site. Mrs wants a new socket directly below a light switch on the ground floor (says it will look neater vertically inline)...
Replies
Views
Hi I've got an new outbuilding that needs power run out to it, the building is very close to the house and the original plan was to run an...
Replies
Views
The mrs has just decided she now wants a TV wall with built in shelves etc We are going to build it out of mdf and then paint, I am just...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock