Discuss Cable prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

What are you guys paying on your 1.5mm & 2.5mm t&e at present. I find screwfix are cheaper than my wholesaler? Time to move Wholesalers? Also that really plastic looking stuff is going round and its crap to use. I like the lighter grey stuff thats more flexible. I asked wholsaler why he doesn't stock that and he said its whatever comes in - all wholesalers have the same stuff at the same time.

Yeh thats about right. My problem here was. I asked for 100m 2.5mm t&e. He said he only had 50m rolls, but he'd do it for the same price as 100m. Looked on receipt. £52 plus the vat. Ended up paying £62.40. Screwfix are doing it for £54 inc VAT

Yeh tahts what I am refering to. Electrifix. My wholesalers never seem to want to give you a quote either. I know they are busy but bloody hell either give me a price list or give me a quote!

Yeh tahts what I am refering to. Electrifix. My wholesalers never seem to want to give you a quote either. I know they are busy but bloody hell either give me a price list or give me a quote!

I tend to find electricfix or B&q trade point as competitive as any of my local wholesalers for most things.

So how much time do you spend and how many miles do you drive to save a couple of pounds??

Personally, no extra miles as they are as close as any other wholesaler, but I wouldn't spend extra time travelling if a nearer supplier was a bit more expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
i stick to my local wholesaler for various reasons!!

1 get preferential treatment
2 get custom quotes no matter how big/small
3 get barrage of abuse from the manager
4 give barrage of abuse to the manager
5 get to pick my stock 9/10 from warehouse when they busy
6 free deliver on any thing
7 free coffee/treats/cake/dinner (if i catch manager going out to get dinner)
8 get work from them
9 the will bend over backwards to help every time
10 nice and friendly and normally go eat lunch in there office if i am in area

try getting that in screwfix!

Scrap price per Kg = £9-80 (todays price)
Stripped clean bright.

Copper
8930KG per M cube
CSA
Gm per Metre

Last edited by a moderator:
TLC Direct and Discount Electrical. Pretty much slowed down using the 1 local wholesale outlet (Edmonsons) as they just cant get close to the above prices.

i get a nice 5 finger discount from the site stores !

One thing I liked about being seconded to the companies engineering planning office was the phoning for cable prices.

“Price for 400M 185 3½ core high conductivity SWA please”.
“£XXXX”.
“By the way I could do with 200M of 2.5 & 1.5 T+E”.
“No problem, usual home address?”

My local wholesaler will do cuts of any CSA. ****ed off yesterday when I was twenty miles down the road and had to buy 50m of 4mm T+E for a 20m run...

It'll stay on the van and be used for a next job but guarantee some little scrote will nick it and I'll be out of pocket just because some fat lazy sod couldn't be bothered to split a roll.

Screwifx is cheaper than my wholesaler on a lot of stuff however I will gladly pay a little extra to keep the little places going than give it to a big faceless corporation.

I had a good deal at trade point last week, they pricmatched CEF and got themselves confused with the +vat and forgot to add on the VAT. so paid £36 and £46 including VAT

2.5 is usually 52+VAT round here. 1.5 is £36.50+vat

Reply to Cable prices in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net