Discuss Cable query for Oven install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Loft space has a 10mm T&E cable terminated into a JB in the loft space which was from a old shower being removed. The requirement is for a oven and microwave being installed into a new space at back of kitchen where only a 13Amp socket is available. The current draw would be 22Amps. The new cable will be pulled through a 1st floor down in to the kitchen through the cavity wall. Shall I take the new cable down as 10mm or drop down to 6mm and change the MCB at the CU to 32Amp????? The full cable run is around 30Mtrs.

If it is not a problem to do so, I would be inclined to run a 6mm in as a new circuit. Then if you do want a shower later on in life you're good to go. That would allow a range cooker to be run if you changed you mind later, like had six kids and granny living with you.

agree with above.run a new circuit in 6mm. benefit is you still have a 10mm cableupto loft that can be re-purposed, and your new 6mm saves getting cable from loft to ground floor.

I’m of the habit to not change conductor sizes part way through a circuit. So for me it’s more 10 (and a junction to be dealt with) or a new 6. Either method I’d probably also change to 32A protection device.

Unfortunately it would be a PITA to run in a new 6mm cable from CU, that is why i am terminating into the existing cable as a new thermostatic shower has been installed in that area. Will stick with 10mm through the circuit.

Cheers for the input.

Personally I think it is bad practice to run cables in the damp cavity of an external wall there is not way to tell how many drip ties have been compromised.

Reply to Cable query for Oven install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello All, I have just found out that a family member who is having some Building work done has been advised to insulate above the Kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hello hope you can help I have a single oven 2.4kw max and a ceramic hob 6kw max I would like to put then both on the same circuit so i was...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've recently had my broken oven replaced in my flat and I paid for delivery and installation. It was hardwired through an unswitched plate...
Replies
Views
I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Recently a mate had a new kitchen fitted, he's gone for an induction hob and pyrolytic oven, no gas at the property. At 1st fix a single...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock