Discuss Cable Rods - what do we think? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

RDB85

Trainee Access
What do we think of them, I have seen a few people use them on some YouTube videos, does anyone recommend them?

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
Yes, they (the expensive but very worth the investment ones) get you out of trouble and shorten your install times. I invested in the mega rod deluxe set at £100 but the build quality make them worth every penny and made me realise why the £4.99 Aldi set kept on breaking at the connects.
The other bonus is that they are Crimped, indented AND glued - just sayin’

Strima

Electrician's Arms
OP
R

RDB85

Trainee Access
Yes, they (the expensive but very worth the investment ones) get you out of trouble and shorten your install times. I invested in the mega rod deluxe set at £100 but the build quality make them worth every penny and made me realise why the £4.99 Aldi set kept on breaking at the connects.
Is it this set: https://www.screwfix.com/p/super-rod-cable-rod-mega-set-28pcs/44025

sparkdog

sparkdog
Electrician's Arms
I tend to use the old fish wires still, 3mm steel wire.It can bend in all directions which rods can't do.

Doomed

Electrician's Arms
Use them most weeks, and it looks more professional (if the client is watching) then the old bent coat hanger and yt/mt lid

Rpa07

4000 posts - only 54195 behind Telectrix!
Electrician's Arms
I was using a coat hanger yesterday though so it’s like getting ‘grandad’ out of the van to help with taking down the chandelier - sometime only a coat hanger will work!
Use them most weeks, and it looks more professional (if the client is watching) then the old bent coat hanger and yt/mt lid

FatAlan

Trainee
Trainee Access
Cable rods, bits of plastic packing strap taped to cable rods, old coat hangers ....used them all :)

suffolkspark

Electrician's Arms
I also have a cable tongue, its basically glorified trunking lid but has got me out of mischeif a few times

Last edited:

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
I stopped using bent fence wire after I accidentally yanked at the wrong cable.
I got a live one. Blew the hook off the end of the wire.

I use a basic set I got from CEF. Only 10 rods, and I’ve lost all the attachments, but still useful on almost every job I’m on

ruston

Respected Member
Sound like my spine feels. :)

coolsparx

Regular EF Member
I used to have a basic set - can’t remember what brand & they were ok. Then I upgraded to the Super Rod Mega set & since added lots of accessories, they have paid for themselves many times over. Most recently purchased the telescopic 5 meter one to add to the armoury. They are so good I wouldn’t use any other brand.

I use them very regularly as I work alone, my favourite accessories are the cable pulling socks & the magnet & chain combo.

The_apprentice2.0

Regular EF Member
Rods are a god send, I have a set of long and short ones for the more awkward places ..... still cant beat a bit of conduit lid from time to time ;)

Electrician Talk